• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Raids and NAS's and other things.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kylesims

So, here's my situation.

Currently using a Seagate ReadyNAS, 4tb, to store about 2.75 TB of movies/TV shows, plus I have another 2TB drive on my machine that stores about 1.75 movies/tv shows. My Seagate is starting to die, judging by how hot it was running and my inability to reliably access it as of late. I just left it unplugged for a few hours to cool off, plugged it in, and it's more responsive - But but still slower than it was a few weeks ago. With this in mind, I'm looking to get something to replace it. It's the second Seagate ReadyNAS I've burned through in a couple years - Which doesn't seem bad to me, but they're still more expensive than I want to pay to keep replacing them. I also don't really need the NAS. Id on't make use of any of it's features as is, it just serves to hold all my media and then I run a Plex server from my machine.

So, I'm leaning towards getting a 4TB drive (BestBuy has a Seagate and a WD for about 140 each), and throwing that in my machine. By itself, this would be fine - But I've also thought about getting two 2TB drives (Which is slightly more expensive at 80 each), and then raiding them together with my existing 2TB, for better read/write times with the Plex. If I do this though, can I add my existing drive to a raid array without losing data? I don't have an effective way to, even temporarily, backup 2TB of data in order to clear my existing drive, raid it, and then put the data back on.

Also, is raiding it all together worth it? Would it be better/the same effectiveness to just get a 4TB drive, add it to my machine as a 3rd drive, and call it good?

knoober

The easiest solution would be what you have already said.... add in a 4TB to your machine and call it good. I like having a dedicated NAS though because I can keep all my main machine's processing power on the tasks that I assign, instead of sharing with Plex/etc. Perhaps that 8350 doesnt have that issue though idk. NAS machines are run to build with spare parts if you have any, because they usually dont need much in the area of hardware. I think a dedicated NAS might be the way to go instead of readyNAS, if its the second one in a couple years. That doesnt make them sound very reliable. Maybe the drives are dying from heat though and need better venting? :shrug:

As for RAID, I do not think you can add a disk to the array without formatting but hopefully someone wiser will add their knowledge to that question.

The_Jizzler

You can build a raid array degraded (not sure how in windows) and then add a drive after the fact and let the array "rebuild" itself. Done this many times in linux.....