• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

RAM Cooling

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Severian

Just wondering, has anyone here tried fitting RAM sinks (such as you see on graphics cards) or possibly even water cooling their RAM?

Or more basically, how much of a problem is heat, when your putting 3V through overclocked RAM (which at this moment I am not, but I might do), and would such cooling help?

batboy

Senior Moment
Yes, people have installed vid RAM sinks on their system RAM and yes people have water cooled them too. There really isn't a big problem with heat on DDR RAM until you start pouring the voltage to 'em. The way I look at it is even if the RAM sinks don't help much, they might help a little and they sure won't hurt.

kamz

really it only matters if your puttin lots of volts through the ddr, i have twinmoss ddr3200 and they clock well and run almost default volts, higher volts and you have a greater chance to shortening the life of the ram...

asw7576

Ram Sink help a bit of overclocking and prolong the lifespan when you use above 2.9V.

Below 2.9V no need. Safe our mother earth resources.

Video Card DDR modules need Ram Sink because the voltage use is often 3.2V - 3.3V. Some people over-voltage them up to 3.7 or 4.0V. ( mostly dead at 4.0V ).

OP
S

Severian

Hmm, sounds good. How much does voltage help RAM? Mine can do 170 on 2.6V (not bad considering it's PC2100). If I put that up to 2.8 or 2.9, how much difference would it make in your opinions?

sandman001

Just Freeze It
depends, you might just be hitting the limit of your ram, but you might get another 10-20mhz out of them.

Maximus Nickus

Senior Shaman
I have run my RAM at 3.25V for a long time now, coming up to 2 years :eek: and it looks fine.
I have installed some RAM sinks courtesy of SilverSinkSam but even without them they really didn't get very hot.

I would suggest you experiment with small increments of increased voltage and simply see how it goes, thats all you can really do to see what difference it will make.

Good Luck,
M_N