• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

RAM/Dimm slot issue.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Lulubop

As the title suggest, my motherboard seems to have an issue reading memory. I have 2x2gb sticks and the computer will not boot unless a specific stick is in the A1 dimm slot. The computer refuses to boot if that same stick is in any other slot and when placed in the A2 slot a beep message indicating I have no memory installed occurs. The other stick seems to not work in any slot including A1 and the computer will only boot with two sticks if they're in A1, A2 but still only reads 1 stick.

This problem arose after I installed a Hyper 212+ cooler. I have read of similar issues due to the instillation being to tight and remedying it by loosing, however I loosened it and the problem still persist. I fear I might be too late and the damage has been done. I do need all 4gb to be accessible so any help or advice is welcome.

As for the memory itself, the stick that can boot with the computer reads no error, yet it still only works in that slot. The other stick I received after an rma of a previous one. I can assume the stick works fine, but I can't test it.

I have also updated my bios to the most current version as well as re-installed the stock cooler. I fear the pins in the mobo socket have been damage and I really hope that is not the case.

System:
OS
Windows 7
CPU
Intel Core i5-750 2.66GHz
Motherboard
ASUS P7P55 LX LGA 1156
Memory
CORSAIR XMS3 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
Graphics Card
XFX HD 5850
Hard Drive
SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD502HJ 500GB
PSU
CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W

Ideally, dual channel memory should be a matched pair. Not just the same make and model but made from the same batch of silicone during the same production run, etc. It would have been better to return both sticks at the same time. Now that doesn't seem to be your problem here but just info for future reference.

The thing that I would try if you haven't is to unplug the PSU from the 120 supply and remove the CMOS battery for a few hours to effect a deep reset of the bios.

If that doesn't work I would also remove the motherboard and make sure a stray standoff or screw isn't shorting out against the circuits on the underside.

Yea, I really needed at least one stick however and I have no others I could have used temporally. But that's definitely something I will not repeat in the future.

As for the suggestion, I did try it and nothing seems to have changed. I had removed the motherboard and checked that no screws where stray when I re-installed the stock cooler as well.

This problem arose after I installed a Hyper 212+ cooler. I have read of similar issues due to the instillation being to tight and remedying it by loosing, however I loosened it and the problem still persist. I fear I might be too late and the damage has been done. I do need all 4gb to be accessible so any help or advice is welcome.

from your own description your onto the problem, and you know it isnt the ram if it was working prior to instalation.
the "pins" in effect might be the ones connecting the CPU to the socket itself. while fighting the one connection, the other one goes unobserved.
Support Intel® Extreme Memory Profile (XMP) depends on CPU type
trust me when i tell you i cant even spell "architecture", or understand all the new nuances, but a picture of the connection type of the motherboard nowdays can come in very usefull to trying to discover the "connection path" . it is just like in the OS when you look at the Device manager, and tell it to show "device by connection" the pictures of the layout of the board , can help when troubbleshooting the paths .

Last edited:
You may want to check your BIOS settings under your memory profile. You need to make sure that the latency is still the same in your BIOS configuration as is indicated on your memory dimms e.g.(9-9-9-24) or whatever it may be. Also, you need to verify if your set up for XMP (extreme memory profile) or not. Normallyyour memory modules, whether in XMP or not, do not go in sequential DIMM order. If your in A1, A2, try 1 and 3 or 2 and 4. You can also try enabling/disabling your XMP profile to see if it recognizes it that way and be sure that your voltages and everything are as they were when it was working properly. If there are settings that say 'AUTO'.....leave them in auto. Hope this helps buddy, I'm not too techy when it comes to this in-depth stuff but I've gone thru this sort of thing when I first started. I hope I don't come off like an idiot and tell you all the wrong stuff here but its a start I guess lol. Good luck bud

Back