• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ram for gaming rig, please help.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Biasos

Registered
First of all, I am planning on building a new computer with a P4 2.6C and an Asus P4P800 aircooled with Sp-94 and the thermaltake smart fan II. This rig is primarily for gaming as of now. The ram is giving me the biggest headache right now so I have a few questions:

1) I am aiming for 250-275ish fsb. Would there be a noticeable increase/decrease in performance between running at 1:1 with loose timings or 5:4 with tight timings?

2) Would it be a better investment to get 2x256 or 2x512 right now? In the near future, I see this as a gaming rig, but I am probably going to be using this for design/programming in my engineering program at university.

3) What timings could I expect with some BH-5 Kingston HyperX PC3000 at around PC3200 speeds? What is the highest clock speed a betting man would expect with relatively tight timings?

4) Anyone know of a good online retailer in Canada to purchase ram from? I know of NCIX and Big Foot Computers.

I don't want to skimp on the ram but I also would like to keep it under 350CDN.

Thanks in advance.

Back