• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ram heat sinks with fan?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jstutman

well you heard it first. anyone believe it will werk??
heres the link.

/\ /\ see title.

FEATURES MODEL :RAM-001
FAN : 40x40x20
CURRENT AMP : 75 mA
RATE SPEED : 5000 RPM
AIR FLOW : 4 (CFM)
NOISE : 27 dB
VOLTAGE : 12 VDC
DIMENSION : 40x40x20(mm)

nothing new. the thermaltake memory cooling kit looks alot like that. except for that 60mm fan, that looks like a screamer.

The TT ones have been around for over a year.
productActiveMemo2.jpg

P/N A1165
Fan Dimension 40x40x20 mm
Rated Voltage 12V
Started Voltage 7V
Rated Current 0.11A
Power Input 1.32W
FAN Speed 5000±10% R.P.M
Air Pressure 1.50mm- H2O
Max. Air Flow 5.1CFM
Noise 23dBa
Bearing Type Sleeve Bearing
Lift Time 30,000 Hours
Connector 3Pin

The one pictured has a 40MM fan, clearly visible from the size of the fanguard, its dimensions are also in the first post. :rolleyes:

They are not much use, you may get a 1-5C drop in a well ventilated case, but in some cases the thermal tape supplied has acted as an insulator increasing the temperature. :eek:

M_N

yeah I have always thought they look like the most useless thing there...if they put a couple of fans into the heatsink side on...not on the top like that then you would have some that would be cooling...not just moving air about your case

ninthebin said:
yeah I have always thought they look like the most useless thing there...if they put a couple of fans into the heatsink side on...not on the top like that then you would have some that would be cooling...not just moving air about your case

yeah, from what i have heard, most ramsinks don't increase overclockability very much, if at all... i hear some actually make the problem worse... oh well... i am sticking with my normal stock ram cause it's workin for me.

I'm going to have to disagree with you guys that think it is useless to add a heatsink to your ram sticks. The problem mentioned here is a failure to attach them properly making them seem useless but it isnt the heatsink's problem. If you need to increase yur VDimm to anything over 2.85V your going to want them there or you fry your memory in a short time frame. My Kingmax runs hot cause I need to run them at 2.95V just to be able to run at CAS2 2 - 6 - 2 -1T - 2T - 1T @ 155MHz/310FSB which is far away from its SPD of CAS2.5 3 - 7 - 3 - 2T - 3T - 3T @ 166MHz/333FSB.

Sonny said:
I'm going to have to disagree with you guys that think it is useless to add a heatsink to your ram sticks. The problem mentioned here is a failure to attach them properly making them seem useless but it isnt the heatsink's problem. If you need to increase yur VDimm to anything over 2.85V your going to want them there or you fry your memory in a short time frame. My Kingmax runs hot cause I need to run them at 2.95V just to be able to run at CAS2 2 - 6 - 2 -1T - 2T - 1T @ 155MHz/310FSB which is far away from its SPD of CAS2.5 3 - 7 - 3 - 2T - 3T - 3T @ 166MHz/333FSB.

what did you use to attach your ramsinks out of curiousity? thanks.

ramsinks are crap... the surface area isn't that much more than the chips themselves... combine that with the chips being INSIDE NONCONDUCTIVE PLASTIC... combine that with the hit you take from the 99.99% chance of poor transfer from ram to heatsink... trust me a frant case fan that hits the ram is twice as effective.

Oh and by the way... on most memory manufacturers it voids the warrantee. And I've got ram which was shipped to me dead which I believe was cooked by the thermaltake heatplate/fan attatched so the scum****er sold it as working and pled ignorance. Yeah you bet your *** I'm filing fraud charges.

In other words. I wouldn't do it if I were you.

mbentley said:
what did you use to attach your ramsinks out of curiousity? thanks.

AS Thermal Adhesive for custom made heatsinks.
Lithan said:
ramsinks are crap... the surface area isn't that much more than the chips themselves... combine that with the chips being INSIDE NONCONDUCTIVE PLASTIC... combine that with the hit you take from the 99.99% chance of poor transfer from ram to heatsink... trust me a frant case fan that hits the ram is twice as effective.

Oh and by the way... on most memory manufacturers it voids the warrantee. And I've got ram which was shipped to me dead which I believe was cooked by the thermaltake heatplate/fan attatched so the scum****er sold it as working and pled ignorance. Yeah you bet your *** I'm filing fraud charges.

In other words. I wouldn't do it if I were you.

Your bad experience doesnt make it crap. If ramsinks are crap then why do video cards have them & would you dare VMod the memory on a video card then run them without a heatsink since they were made of nonconductive plastic?

I can understand that you have had a terrible experience but your attitude doesnt help anybody here.

Sonny said:

I'm sorry but I disagree with your statement, RAM does occasionally need additional cooling but it is not imperative that it does, even when running at high voltages such as 3.2V.
Through personally experience and a past thread with testimony from many other people here voltages of 2.9V and over rarely even get the RAM warm, and thusly there is little point in cooling it.
Of course there are many cases when additional Cooling is neccesary, but it depends on a lot of variations and the type of memory.

I'd also like to point out that most Ramsinks on RAM are very thin, they have no fins and when combined with little airflow it makes it very difficult to lower tempertures, your Ramsinks sound different as they are Custom made however.

To prove a point, :D
M_N

Last edited:
um... Lithan, if ther eis bad heat contact with them... THEN WHY ARE MINE HOT!!! they are right now... so they are obviously helping remove heat since the entier body is hot not just directly over the chips... there is more surface area so it is better:D :eh?: :D

Ram heatsinks have fins.

Fins = much more surface area to dissipate. Ramsinks don't.

If you go and epoxy a vga ramsink on each of your rams chips it probably would help cooling. But those POS heatplates thermaltake sells are about as useful as glueing a mm thick strip of aluminum onto a cpu. If that's enough to cool the product... then it doesnt need cooling. I still assert that a good fan is a better solution.

Crash

You could put paper mache around your ram and it would get hot... but that doesnt mean it's helping cooling. You loose the direct air cooling on the ram itself which means any heat which doesnt make it to the heatplate isnt getting dissipated.

Back