• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ram not showing up in task manager but is in cpuz, update bios?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

volumedefiant

Hey guys, as a lot of other people I see have the same issue, I am just simply worried that my 8gb of ram is not being in use or possibly full use by my computer since it doesn't look as though windows can detect that I have installed new ram. Especially in the task manager it makes me think it is not working to its full capacity with this 8gb of ram as it is running on a very high percentage with really not much going on, besides the fact that it says only 4gb. Basically I'm wondering if I may need to flash a new Bios or just simply download something possibly? I am running windows 8 still and this is an a10 processor with F.22 bios. Also it does show up in cpu z as having 8gb but I dont know if that is just because it can detect it , not necessarily actually knowing if it is in use or not.

Please post your full system specs, follow the template in my signature.

What's the make and model of the motherboard and the make, model and rated speed of the RAM? Are the modules you added the same as the ones you already had? Or are you mixing brands, voltages and timings?

well i was trying to get upgraded ram so I do believe it is higher rating but they are both the exact same 4gb ram sticks.

cpu:AMD A10
motherboard: HP model 1833 Chipset: AMD k15 IMC Southbridge: AMD - AMD 08 FCH
RAM: DDR3 2X4GB 1600MHZ 1.5V A-DATA TECHNOLOGY
GPU: AMD RADEON HD7660G Trinity, 512mb
Windows 8

Is your Windows 8 x86 or x64 (32 or 64 bit)?

Good question! That might explain it.

volumedefiant, go to Control Panel and then click on System. It will tell you if you have a 32-bit or a 64-bit version of Windows. If 32-bit, you are limited to being able to access 4 gb of RAM.

Hey guys, as a lot of other people I see have the same issue

I think a lot of people that start with 4GB ram, get a x86 windows installed, then wonder why they only have 4GB when they upgrade the ram to 8GB+, this I think is true with manufactured PC's.
I don't buy any manufactured PC's so I don't know if this is true.
Then again it may be that x86 windows is all they can afford when they get/build the PC.
The A10 is a 64 bit CPU so a 64 bit OS should have been used.

Can you post screenshots of all tabs of CPUz, the main screen of GPUz, and of the performance tab of Task Manager please?

Back