• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ram OC possible with Xeon?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mackerel

I hopefully have an E5-2683 v3 on its way to me after spotting a cheap one ebay. About 3x the cost of the E5-2670 I was looking at, but this is much newer with AVX2 support and I estimate its overall throughput to be comparable to two of the old 2670, for the power consumption of one. I also got an X99 mobo to go with it.

I know with i7s you can OC ram, but how locked are the Xeons? I know the Xeons typically wont support CPU overclock other than a minimal amount from the bus, but what about the ram? I have a quad kit I can move out of another system to keep costs down, although it would pain me somewhat to have to run that at only 2133... and yes, I can make use of that ram bandwidth. The ram-bandwidth-per-core-GHz of this Xeon would work out lower than my OC desktop. I know I will find out once it arrives and I test it, but curious to know before then. I have tried searching but haven't found the magic combo of words to exclude core OC and narrow it to the ram.

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
I believe the ram multipliers work just fine on X99 boards running Xeons. I don't run them so I wouldn't bet my life on it though.

Woomack

Benching Team Leader
Bclk is locked but memory ratios should work higher. I can't guarantee it on every motherboard as I was testing Xeons mainly on server boards without options to change memory frequency but JEDEC has 2400+ specs for DDR4 and Broadwell-E works with DDR4-2400 so I guess it will work too if it's not locked somehow in BIOS microcode. I guess you will know for sure when it arrives ;)

OP
mackerel

mackerel

It has arrived, along with the mobo, so I'll be building it up this evening. Snag is, cooler ordered at same time only dispatched today... and I don't think any of my existing coolers are compatible with 2011. I might have to get a bit creative with what I can find to at least start an OS install but I wont be running under sustained load any time soon.

ATMINSIDE

Sim Racing Aficionado Co-Owner
Should be able to just press down some TIM lightly with the heatsink then leave it sitting, assuming the motherboard is laying down, and have it work well enough to install an OS.

OP
mackerel

mackerel

That's my plan. I will see what's the biggest heatsink I have spare is and hope that'll be enough. I don't have a case for it either so that's still on the shopping list. Will just be running in the open until then.

OP
mackerel

mackerel

Xeon says no :( I only get ram multipliers up to 2133. If I try to go above that it sets blck for me. Found what I think is an old AMD heatsink of some kind and I'm keeping it from slipping off with the sata cable pack the mobo came with... not good :D Doing OS install now.

Woomack

Benching Team Leader
I wonder if memory with higher SPD profile can cheat that on X99 motherboards. Some memory kits like Crucial Ballistix or HyperX have 2400 or 2666 SPD profiles so you don't have to set XMP at all and in 1st profile is saved higher memory frequency.

OP
mackerel

mackerel

I don't think any of my DDR4 has high SPD profiles beyond 2133 so can't easily test this. They're all XMP above that.

I did run a quick Cinebench R15, and got 1585. Even if I can't increase the ram clock, I could try going the other way and see if I can shave much off the latency.

OP
mackerel

mackerel

Having had more of a play, the ram options available to me only go up to 8x133 for 2133 effective. So instead I have started on the road of seeing if I can lower latency. Not got far yet, only reducing CL to 14 and command rate 1T, which made no difference to Cinebench scores. I probably should look up how low others have gone for some idea... anyway, I'm out of tinkering time for one day and will pick this up again on the weekend.