• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ram Questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

fcairforce

Registered
I have several questions regarding a ram upgrade I would like to get.

I have heard that a latency of 2-3-2-6 is worse than 2-3-3-6 becuase the middle two numbers arent' the same. True?

Also, I'm looking for Corsair XMS dual channel pc3200 low latency 1gb, but its nowhere to be found. :cry:

I have a SLOW stick of PMI ram in my system now. If I got a fast stick with low latency of a different brand,
A) Would they work together
B) Would the fast stick be slowed by the slow stick
C) Would I be better off getting another stick of PMI instead of Corsair

Highly embarrased for getting sucky ram to begin with :cry:

Know Nuttin

Welcome to the forums.

2-3-2-6 is better than 2-3-3-6. Not a huge difference but it is better.

2 different sticks should work together fine. getting them to run in dual channel, however, is a bit sketchier. It's always good to stay with the same model when not purchasing a dual channel kit.

fastest stick would be slowed down by the slower module. Like running a 3 legged race, you can't run faster than the dufus beside you ;)

K4mui

Since you're running a Pentium 4 (you do, right?), timings should be relativly irrelevant.
You should try to achieve a high fsb, and here is the problem with keeping your old ram.

For the record: on athlon xp the "RAS-to-CAS-delay" is the timing- even 11MHz of fsb don't compensate the difference between "3" and "2"- of course, "2" is the faster setting.

OP
F

fcairforce

Registered
So I would be better off just using the dual channel sticks even though there would be more ram if I had them both in?

And my current (bad) stick is single channel. Are you saying it would be hard to get my new sticks to run in dual channel if I keep my single channel stick in?

P4 2.6 800mhz fsb HT

OP
F

fcairforce

Registered
If there is dual channel ddr ram, then how would a gig of single channel compare to 512mb of dual channel ram?

Last edited: