• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ram sinks for a 9800 pro?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gustav

well this is a cooling question so i thought id post it here and not in the video card section. im thinking of getting a Arctic silencer for my 9800 pro. but from what i can tell, there would be no room for ram sinks on the front unless they are uber low profile. so can anyone recommend some sinks for the front chips using the arctic silencer hsf for the 9800 pro? how about ram sinks for the back chips? and how good is the arctic silencer?

heres some links:

arctice silencer
ram sinks
more ram sinks
more ram sinks yet
hey i found more ram sinks

Gustav

The sinks in the last link WON"T work. I have them sitting here on my desk, they are way too long (ram on 9800pro is square, not rectangle). I don't think the one above it will work either. I ordered some of the OCZ ones in the 2nd link, but in copper so lets hope they work.

I use these along with the VGA Silencer and they fit perfectly, and allowed me to get an extra 10mhz out of my memory. The VGA Silencer Allows me to get about 15mhz extra out of the core and it's very quiet! So I am pretty happy with it. I say go for it.

those look square but i cant tell for sure. i have square ram chips on my card, not rectangle. also, how do you get them to stick on?

bah, shoulda read the site. says it uses sticky tape. so 'll need two packs of these (its ddr memory, duh :p ) and a arctic silencer. your sure these ram sinks fit on the mem chips on the gpu side right, and dont get in the way of the arctic silencer?

yup, they are square, and they fit under the Arctic Silencer. And one more thing. Although they come with thermal tape, I removed the tape and stuck them on with some Arctic Alumina thermal epoxy, which I'm sure is better than the thermal tape that comes with them.

Or put superglue in one corner and put as3 on the other part. THen just put it in an anti-static bag in the frezer 4 a 1/2 hour to loosen the glue.

what are you trying to tell me to do? these are not installed yet, im simply looking for good ram sinks for my card. is that a suggestion to get the sticky tape off the bottom of the sinks?

im just suggesting annother way of putting them on, and i might be more apt to thermal transfer. But its alittle more permanant.

Agent_Mull said:
Or put superglue in one corner and put as3 on the other part. THen just put it in an anti-static bag in the frezer 4 a 1/2 hour to loosen the glue.

i dont get it, put superglue in what corner and as3 on what other part. then put them in the freezer to losen what glue? im confused. i think it might just be easier to remove the thermal tape and use some thermal epoxy. :D

Back