• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ram Sinks -- Good deal?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

[email protected]

Inactive Moderator
Coolesr Master Ram sinks

I got Buffalo pc3700 mT (micron... -5B C) RAM. I have three of them, but I wanted to try these on two of them. They come in packs of 8, so I bought 4 (2 packs of 8 for each I guess since it's double-sided).

4 packs with shipping comes out to $28.48. This is the cheapest I found. Other places price them at 9-11 bucks. Are these worth buying instead of heat spreaders, or do I not need cooling at all for the micron chips.

Yuriman

Then they will probably get warm to the touch. I had my buffalo PC3200 at 245fsb with 2.9v, and they were not hot. Dont worry about it. IMO right now heatspreaders/ramsinks are just marketing for almost any ram.

Phrenetical

Nah bro your ram should easily hit 240 without heat spreaders or ram sinks, the only time ram sinks come in is with crappy ram like mine, that gets bloody hot cause its not made for OC'ing, so ram sinks help cool it further and push it a bit more, but i dont think you will need em at all.

Not on geil ram

Plus you have to remeber once they are on, they are on, so unless your ram starts to crap out when you OC, i would leave em off.

OP
g0dM@n

[email protected]

Inactive Moderator
Hey buddy, look at my first post. I was talking about the Buffalo pc3700 with the micron chips (the -5B C). The Geil in my sig is already confirmed for RMA. They are the crappiest RAM I've ever bought. DON'T EVER BUY GEIL GOLDEN DRAGON!!!

OP
g0dM@n

[email protected]

Inactive Moderator
HAHA! Of course! I'm angry. What do you expect? I am RMAing the Geil Golden Dragon pc3500 2x256 (rated 2-3-3-6, 2.5-3.1V) tomorrow. It can't run dual even at 198fsb, no matter what voltage I give it. I can only run like 203fsb in single 2-3-3-11 at I think 2.7 or 2.8V.

Blazin Trav

I agree you don't need them. The only HSF I think is worth it is the Thermaltake active cooling heatsink for ram. Also I have heard about a lot of problems with the GD ram. You can get a good stick but there are a lot of problematic sticks, so I recommend staying away.