• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

RAM slots on motherboards

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Wayward_Son

What happens if you put your RAM into slots other than what your motherboard calls for? If I have four slots and only two sticks of RAM, will the computer work if I put them in slots 3 and 4 instead of 1 and 2?

psionic98

I dont have your answer, but you wouldn't break your rig by testing your theory out yourself

OP
W

Wayward_Son

But if I can get an answer while I'm at work I can order the different RAM I need at work instead of waiting until tonight or tomorrow. ;)

The reason I ask is this: the heatsinks of the Corsair Dominator RAM I bought are too tall. When I try to install my TRUE the fan hits the RAM and prevents me from installing the heatsink. I can use only one fan in a pull-only configuration but I would rather just buy shorter RAM so that I can use two fans in a push/pull configuration.

And if it turns out that I can just relocate those Dominators to the other two RAM slots on my motherboard, then I can use two fans with my TRUE and continue to use the Corsair RAM without purchasing a new memory kit and going through the RMA process.

So if anyone can give me an answer on this I sure would appreciate it. I'd like to order my new RAM today if I have to go that route.

psionic98

could always bend a fin or two .. wouldn't cause a really bad adverse reaction in removing heat

Bobnova

Not an issue with most modern motherboards. They don't really care what slots the ram is in.
Some older boards would not boot without slot (or section) 0 filled.
You won't kill anything trying it.

jaymz9350

In my experience it all depends on the board. I've had some that don't care what slots the RAM is in and some that won't boot unless you follow what the manual says. But like other mentioned, it won't hurt to try it out.

JustDepends

Not an issue with most modern motherboards. They don't really care what slots the ram is in.
Some older boards would not boot without slot (or section) 0 filled.
You won't kill anything trying it.

LOL. I experienced that in my first build. I was annoyed for like an hour trying to figure out what was wrong. They should make it in chronological order instead my board the first slot is the second.

4GHZ_or_bust

Now 6GHz or Bust!
On many boards, it is usually first 2 slots to work. Some may requires you to install in slot 1 and 3 for dual channel.

AFAIK all 1136 board requires you to put memory sticks in the furthest slot first.