• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ram Speed?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tall_Dallas

Ram.. Speed or Quantity?

I just upgraded my motherboard form an Intel PEBT2 to a 865GBF...
I have 512MB of DDR 333Mhz Ram.
Would I see a better performance boost by:
upgrading to 400Mhz Ram (staying at 512MB)
or would just doubling my existing ram to 1024 MB (DDR-333) be better?

I haven't been in the hardware world for a while... so i'm trying to catch up. :bang head

With the new chipsets, bus speeds, etc... I'm not sure what to do.

Note: my system specs below...

I'm upgrading to "GeForce FX 5900 128MB 8X" soon.

Yes, This is another Bottleneck question... :p

Last edited:

Mortis03

Quote=>"Is the lack of response telling me that the question is so stupid, it doesn't warrant any attention? "

A little bit(heck, who am I kidding, a lotta bit) of both....

Hehe, sorry, I'm just joking.
Just takes a while for ppl to get around to answer sometimes. Might I sugest doing a search on the subject here or on google, I bet it's been discussed a countless number of times in a lot of different places.

It's a fine question to me. One that I dont know the answer for sure on. I would think speed is the more important of the two. If you look around at ppl's rigs, most ppl have nice (expensive :)) name brand memory, fast too. A lot of ppl who have great oc's who use 2x256 but are really fast. I dunno, just my two cents. If I had to guess, it would be quality over quantity for best proformance jump.

Mortis03

You could always do a search, but i'll look around when I get back from best buy.... I love it there, hehe

NinjaWreck

Seeing that you have a 533 fsb chip I would stay with the DDR333 and just buy more. It all depends on what you have your fsb set to. If you leave it stock @ 133, then your ram is only running @ 266mhz... You would have to OC your fsb to 166mhz to even use the full default rating of the ram. I have consistently run DDR333 as PC3200 in a few systems. So I would stick with the lower latency DDR333. If you upgrade your CPU later then I would go ahead and do a memory speed upgrade then.