• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

RAM Suggestions for my new RIG

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
It's worth noting that while the board is rated for 2800, a SB CPU is not going to hit that with any RAM.

Between those two kits, I'd go with whatever color you like better. Seriously, that's more important for everyday use than the timing difference.
The 9-9-9 chips can probably do 8-8-8 with a bit more voltage anyway.

Dammit.. costs 7-10 here in aus.. plus extras. Gah. It's the only fast food I eat now. If I eat it at all.. I can't stand KFC and maccas anymore.. wish subway was cheaper. My preferred subway Footlong actually costs like 13-14 lol...

Tangent done. Well ya, go with whatever colour you prefer!! Lol

They're $5 in America xD.

FEBUANY 5 DOLLAR FOOT LONGS :D

I love America >.< so much competition food so cheap you just don't get how they make money anymore.

I remember a while ago when my EX moved to Australia for studies and she used to tell me stores of how much more expensive everything is out there :O. Don't envy you aussies.

I'm not sure if the RipJaws will fit under my Noctua HSF w/the mATX form factor.

I ended up ordering these Ares, perhaps I should have gotten others??

I don't understand what the fourth number means in terms of timings. Usually I've seen 9-9-9, but sometimes there's a fourth number like 9-9-9-24.

I know lower is better for timings, but when I see a forth number like above, how do you compare that to RAM w/only 3 numbers?

Most 9-9-9 timings have a 24 final timing. If I said I knew what it was for; I'd be lying. So I'm not going to bother. Lol.

Ripjaws fit under the D14. It's listed on the Noctua Compatibility site. Doesn't matter now. Ares are fine. Though I still question your need for 16GB... Oh well.

Hmm..I can always exchange if I wanted. Newegg is good about that.

Mjol...how you do you like your mobo? That's the one I bought.

Anything I should know about installing Win7 on a SSD? I never owned an SSD before.

Hmm..I can always exchange if I wanted. Newegg is good about that.

Mjol...how you do you like your mobo? That's the one I bought.

Anything I should know about installing Win7 on a SSD? I never owned an SSD before.

This thread turned into a nifty FYI for what to do with SSD.

If you look at post 20 (mine xD) I posted a couple of nice articles. I do suggest reading the whole article and all the posts before deciding which of the steps to do.

The most important ones are:

-Before installing windows make sure from your BIOS that you are running AHCI not IDE for your SSD.
-After installing windows enable TRIM (i put a CMD command in that thread i linked)
-Disable indexing for your SSD and lower pagefile.

Cheers! :D

This thread turned into a nifty FYI for what to do with SSD.
-Disable indexing for your SSD and lower pagefile.

Cheers! :D

Thanks for this, I haven't had a chance to put my build together :-/ Still reading thoroughly.

Question, from your above post about "lower pagefile"

Did you mean to make the pagefile smaller in size? If YES, why do you need to do that with a SSD AND what size should the pagefile be?

Second, do you need to defrag a SSD. I saw reports on the internet that doing so decreases the lifespan of the drive, why I don't know (using the SSD's chips more often?)

The PDF file you recommended in that link form your other post suggested Disable System Restore. Can I enable it to store that info on my HDD ? Or is that not recommended?

That PDF always suggests not having a Pagefile at all, what do you think?

I have a 120gig Intel 520 Cherryville SSD, and a 1TB WD Caviar Black, along with 16Gigs of RAM.

I'll be gaming of course too.

Last edited:
Thanks for this, I haven't had a chance to put my build together :-/ Still reading thoroughly.

Question, from your above post about "lower pagefile"

Did you mean to make the pagefile smaller in size? If YES, why do you need to do that with a SSD AND what size should the pagefile be?

Second, do you need to defrag a SSD. I saw reports on the internet that doing so decreases the lifespan of the drive, why I don't know (using the SSD's chips more often?)

The PDF file you recommended in that link form your other post suggested Disable System Restore. Can I enable it to store that info on my HDD ? Or is that not recommended?

That PDF always suggests not having a Pagefile at all, what do you think?

I have a 120gig Intel 520 Cherryville SSD, and a 1TB WD Caviar Black, along with 16Gigs of RAM.

I'll be gaming of course too.

Lowering the page file size is just to save space on the SSD, along with disabling hibernation. They don't increase performance in any way, it's just getting the size of the Windows install as small as possible. A page file is where programs store temporary data if you max out your RAM usage. If you don't have a page file and max out your RAM, programs will just crash instead of getting really slow. I'd recommend keeping a small page file, just in case.

Do not defrag SSDs.

Last edited:
Lowering the page file size is just to save space on the HDD, along with disabling hibernation. They don't increase performance in any way, it's just getting the size of the Windows install as small as possible. A page file is where programs store temporary data if you max out your RAM usage. If you don't have a page file and max out your RAM, programs will just crash instead of getting really slow. I'd recommend keeping a small page file, just in case.

Do not defrag SSDs.

What's the right size for my page file though on my SSD?

Sorry, that was a typo, lowering page file is just to save space on the SSD, not the HDD.

There is no right size, it's up to you. A page file is just backup RAM in case your RAM usage hits 100%. If there's no page file and your RAM hits 100%, programs will just crash and close.

Sorry, that was a typo, lowering page file is just to save space on the SSD, not the HDD.

There is no right size, it's up to you. A page file is just backup RAM in case your RAM usage hits 100%. If there's no page file and your RAM hits 100%, programs will just crash and close.

I figured that was a typo, No correct page file size..hm OK..thanks

Back