• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

RAM upgrade suggestions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MisterEd

I have the following computer:
MBD: ASUS PRIME X370-PRO
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X (was AMD Ryzen 7 1700X)
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) CMK16GX4M2A2666C16R
GPU: ASUS ROG-STRIX-RTX3060TI-O8G-V2-GAMING (was ASUS ROG-STRIX-GTX1060-6G-GAMING)
DRV1: ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro (2TB M.2 NVME SSD)
DRV2: Intel 660P (2TB M.2 NVME SSD) (on PCIe card)

I would like to upgrade the RAM to 32GB or 64GB so would appreciate any suggestions.

BTW, I plan to build a new ZEN 4 computer next year.

Anything from well-known brand at ~DDR4-3200, except for Corsair, should work. Generally G.Skill, Kingston, ADATA, Team Group, Patriot, Crucial ... Some of Corsair memory kits are causing compatibility issues. It's coming back every generation and eventually they fix it. I'm not saying they won't work but I can recommend their highest RAM series and they cost more than the competitive kits from brands like G.Skill.

Just curious, Mr. Ed, do you need 32 or 64GB? That's a lot of RAM for the average Joe (especially 64GB). I worry about getting 64GB stable on that older system with the 3000 series IMC. Also, unused RAM is useless so, there's that. Check your usage before you go 64GB. If you're barely tickling 16GB, there's certainly no need for the expense of 64GB.

i find 32GB to be plenty. i've hit 17-18GB on Nevermore, so i reckoned that 32 was still plenty for Forgotten Legend. basically use/d them both as daily driver entertainment PC (gaming, movies, music, web-surfing)

Update:

I bought the following G.Skill RAM for $99.99:
G.SKILL Flare X Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 3200 Model F4-3200C16D-32GFX

It is guaranteed to run with Ryzen so I figured there shouldn't be any problems. There wasn't. It seems to be working fine at 3200MHz so far. Note I have the RAM set in BIOS to D.O.C.P. so no special settings were made.

For anyone not familiar the first Ryzen generation CPUs and motherboards were plagued with RAM compatibility problems at launch. I preordered the AMD Ryzen 7 1700X CPU and the ASUS Prime X370-Pro motherboard. Since what RAM was compatible before launch was unknown I was thought I was being conservative and bought Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 2666. Unfortunately, this RAM only ran stable at 2133MHz. It took several months and BIOS updates before the RAM was able to run at its rated 2666MHz. BTW, back then a lot of people had to run 3200MHz RAM at 2933MHz.

I upgraded the CPU to an AMD Ryzen 7 3700X. That may be another reason the RAM is working with no problems.

According to CPU-Z the RAM has SK Hynix chips. I was hoping it had Samsung B-Die ones.

Attachments

• CPU-Z #1.png
    CPU-Z #1.png
    15.6 KB · Views: 3
  • CPU-Z #2.png
    CPU-Z #2.png
    18.4 KB · Views: 3
I upgraded the CPU to an AMD Ryzen 7 3700X. That may be another reason the RAM is working with no problems.
That's most of the reason. Zen2 has a better IMC.

According to CPU-Z the RAM has SK Hynix chips. I was hoping it had Samsung B-Die ones.
I'm curious does it matter what's under the hood if you're just setting XMP/DOCP? I can see the point if you're overclocking heavily, but for those running at stock, why does it matter?

That's most of the reason. Zen2 has a better IMC.

I'm curious does it matter what's under the hood if you're just setting XMP/DOCP? I can see the point if you're overclocking heavily, but for those running at stock, why does it matter?
Back when people were having RAM problems with the original Ryzen CPU people were saying RAM with Samsung B-Die memory gave the best compatibility. When Flare X first came out it emphasized it had Samsung B-Die memory which is what people were looking for. Currently, I think that some Flare X RAM has Samsung B-Die memory and others have SK Hynix memory.

I may have lucked out on this RAM. Selecting my motherboard in G.Skill's RAM Configurator shows 22 model numbers for 32GB of dual-channel RAM. They range in speed from 2133MHz to 2933MHz. The model number I close with a speed of 3200MHz was not on the list.

Back