• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

RAM watercooling

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Aidenswarrior

there is no point in watercooling ram, it does nothing. get a little 40mm fan and mount it with some paper clips, that is all you need.

Last edited:

fuzzba11

I'm using the Koolance RAM blocks, people will tell you it's not worth it, like they did in my thread but they look awesome. Personally I was trying to remove as many fans from my system as possible while keeping everything cool, so it's worth it for me.

Soong

Aidenswarrior said:
there is no point in ocing ram, it does nothing. get a little 40mm fan and mount it with some paper clips, that is all you need.
Did you mean there's no point water cooling ram?

OP
metloaf

metloaf

I am also trying to get rid of fans and as much noise as possible, as far as I have researched there seems to be a benefit in keeping your RAM cool.

Otter

I'm a silence freak too, but I'm not sure that watercooling the RAM is really justified. RAM usually doesn't need that much airflow to stay cool, and you can probably manage it with an undervolted fan that is so close to being silent it doesn't matter.

I'd try a quiet fan first, and if you can't get the RAM cool enough without hearing the fan, then consider WCing it.

Nearly any waterblock would cool the RAM well, but you might want to make a bracket to keep the tubing from pulling the sticks sideways in their sockets. Also, RAM blocks are in one of the worst possible places for a leak.

OP
metloaf

metloaf

Thanks Otter, that' s a good point about a possible leak, that's one of my concerns about getting one of those ram blocks.

OP
metloaf

metloaf

I looked the ones you mentioned Fuzzball but I didn't like the 1/4 inch inlet/outlets on them. However, they do look awsome. I am setting up a 1/2" system currently.

5|*42

Keep in mind to that it's aluminum, so you almost definitely be mixing metals so you'll have to drastically up the amount of antifreeze in your setup.