• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

RAMsink baseplate thickness???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Celemine1Gig

Hi guys and gals,

I'm planning to cut out some custom made RAMsinks out of some Intel Xeon coolers I have lying around here. These Xeon heatsinks feature a folded fin construction, the fins are made out of Aluminium, while the base plate is a solid 6mm thick copper plate!

BTW, I'll be using the RAMsinks on my new Geforce 4 Ti 4200!

I thought of cutting these sinks into fit, but then I thought about the baseplate thickness, and I came to the conclusion that 6mm would be a bit too thick for just RAM!

So what thickness for the baseplate would you recommend??? Perhaps 3mm??? Fortunately I can have them grinded down for me on a professional machine, so no work for me. I just need to know what would be the best thickness for thermal transfer between the heatsink and the RAM.

Any helps apreciated!

Thx in advance!

Ingo

BoB NaPaLm

I would have thought that it really doesn't matter as the heatsink will just be able to hold more heat than if it was grinded down. But I'm probably wrong as I'm only a newbie :D

wildfrogman

I would only grind the base down if space was a real issue, since you said it was aluminum. With the ramsinks not being super heavy just get some Arctic alumina epoxy and just make sure the base of the ramsinks~ram are flat and then you stick em on with a small clamp for a few hours then your done. Oh, and if possible add more airflow around the video card as you will benafit alot more from the extra cfm with ramsinks. Hope this helps.

OP
Celemine1Gig

Celemine1Gig

Well if you would have read my text carefully, you woul have seen, that the baseplate of the Xeon heatsink that I want o cut down, is a 6mm thick copperplate! So the Raminks would be quite heavy with a 6mm baseplate and that's why I plan on having them grinded down.

Additionally, if the baseplate is too thick, then the cooling decreases, as it takes longer for the heat to rise into the fins.

Regards

Ingo

Any further comments are apreciated!;)

wildfrogman

ah, thick copper plate i didnt see, Aluminum folded thin fin heatsink. Yeah i probably would grind down the base as it would add alot of weight to that video card. I would think 3mm would be thin enough, you could go more thin but 2~3mm i think would be good.

willlangford

here is what i did....i took a 1u copper cooler and milled the step off and then cut it in 2. then i put it on both of the rows of 4 ram chips. it works great exept once the copper gets hot it doesnt cool down...so i am going to put a 120mm fan over it to cool it down and then it should work really well.

~Will