• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

RAMsinks for videocard

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kango

Anyone know good deal for RAMsinks for GF3 Ti200 videocard? I mean those small "rectangular" ramsink not the long ram sink cuz I can't cut it. Thanks

Mr. $T$

Take a look a rat shack (radio shack) and they have some transistor heatsinks they are about $ 1.25 they are a little bigger than a standerd ramchip, they do a really good job of cooling and are what I use on my computer

Would give you a link but the page they are on look like it is down, If you would like a pict I can give you one.

Monaco

i second the Shack 'sinks, they work extremely well and are cheap- they are $1.50 each at my local store, easy to get as well. If you live near an RS that is :D

I have seen sets of all-copper RAMsinks online for like $15, (without shipping) and you'll need 8 from the Shack to do most cards, so do the math and decide what is best for you. I use Shack sinks cuz I hate to wait for the USP man.

Mr B

Senior Admin Emeritus
Mr. $T$ said:
Take a look a rat shack (radio shack) and they have some transistor heatsinks they are about $ 1.25 they are a little bigger than a standerd ramchip, they do a really good job of cooling and are what I use on my computer

Would give you a link but the page they are on look like it is down, If you would like a pict I can give you one.

If you could post a Rat Shack p/n or link, I'd appreciate it...;) If the local store has em, I might pick up a couple/few myself...:) (save time and wear and tear on my arm on cutting up a Pentium heatsink...:D )

Mr B

Senior Admin Emeritus

Mr. $T$

Silversinksam said:

NO, they are 24mm x 11mm (i just measured one) :(

Ya they do (just make sure they don't hit any contacts)

I use them on my Ti 4400, they work real well.

Silversinksam

Moderator/ Silver Paste Taster©
Mr. $T$ said:

Ya they do (just make sure they don't hit any contacts)

I use them on my Ti 4400, they work real well.

I agree that the experienced O/cer can make just about anything fit, but he mentioned he didnt want to cut them and seemed to want a perfect fit :rolleyes:

OP
Kango

Kango

Yea I got the heatsink from RS the 99 cents one and when I tried it it didn't fit :mad: So I tried to cut that sink with a handy saw and it work and it fit pretty much what I have wanted :D Thanks for all your helps

Monaco

Along with the great little Al sinks, RS also has a stamped U-shaped tin heatsink for a little bit less...AVOID!!! Those are great for transistors and TO-220 use, but are teh complete suck for anything an OCer is likely to do. I've tried em a few times, Ghetto OCer and all, but always get horrible results with those. Better than no cooling at all, I suppose, but by a very thin margin :D

Mr. $T$

Silversinksam said:

I agree that the experienced O/cer can make just about anything fit, but he mentioned he didnt want to cut them and seemed to want a perfect fit :rolleyes:

no mods of any kind, there are only a few places that it could hit but not many.

tseongsun

If it looks like it will initially hang over and possibly short something, you might be able to take a little tiny bit of electrical tape (4mmx4mm or whatever) and cover the things that you think will be in danger. That will be enough insulation to stop a short. =D

larrymoencurly

Radio Shack has a really nice extruded black anodized heatsink, #276-1368, $1.49. I RTVed some to the mobo regulator transistors in hopes of keeping the electrolytic capacitors from bulging.

JPS

You all just saved me a ton of $$$$. Combine these with the oldskool PII & PIII Alu heatsinks I picked up for $1.00 and I am in business. Now I just need the mobo for my next 'project' to arrive...

(HR)Titan

tseongsun said:
If it looks like it will initially hang over and possibly short something, you might be able to take a little tiny bit of electrical tape (4mmx4mm or whatever) and cover the things that you think will be in danger. That will be enough insulation to stop a short. =D
thx for tip:)