• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Random freezing after upgrading to FX-8350

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Ok so I got the new psu in place. Played some games for about 2hrs before I remembered about prime95. Started prime95 and 5 seconds later my pc froze again.
So I'll be switching to that msi mobo tomorrow aswell.

Gotta say though I'm really glad I got this psu and I'm not planning on returning it. The old one was in quite an ugly shape.

Don't bother with Prime 95 until you get the new motherboard and I'm glad the new Psu is serving you well. Seasonic and Super Flower are the two top Psu manufacturers out, it was a good choice to pick that one up.

Yep... it was the damn motherboard all along.

Got this new msi 970 installed and everything has been going great for the past 4 hours. It has so many features compared to that old thing I had it's actually amazing.

All in all I went from just wanting to upgrade my cpu and gpu to replacing everything except the case :rofl: But I'm glad I did so, I'm really pleased with what I ended up and I've learned more about computer hardware in this past month that I ever thought I would care to know in my life.

Here's prime95 for 20 minutes:

values.jpg

I have a Gammaxx 300 as the cpu cooler and 4 case fans for this thing. The case was fully open when I ran it so I guess airflow could have been better if it was closed. Considering I haven't changed the thermal paste for the CPU, and there is barely any of it left there, is the CPU temp ok?

Also, what is this thing at 84C? Is that the northbridge? And if not, is it anything relevant? Neither speed fan nor the motherboard's software display that sensor. Should I be worried about how high that is?(it seems to take a looong time to cool down aswell)

Last edited:
Glad it's working. You should go into the BIOS and set the Dram to 1600 Mhz, you're running 1333 now. Definitely go get some new TIM and you do not need to spend big bucks on it, something like this will do just fine. Take a coffee filter with isopropyl alcoholand clean the cpu and heatsink then re apply. As far as temps go, after you replace the Tim you'll probably see better temps. Though, these Fx 8xxx chips do run hot. The 84c is the Nb temperature from what I've read, if you have a spare 80mm fan lying around such as the one from the stock cpu heatsink. Mount it on the heatsink I have highlighted in the following picture. You can use double sided tape or zip ties to mount it and it should help drop the temp.
Capture.PNG

Yep, will be ordering some.

As far as I've read on the internet it does seem the nb gets quite hot on these motherboards. Funny thing is, feeling around inside the pc, the heat seemed to be coming form the other one, the one on top of the CPU in that picture. I don't know if I can do the fan trick on that one without disrupting the airflow.

Regarding the ram, I do have 2x 4gb 1600 and 2x 4gb 1333, I've always had it on 1333 as far as i know.

Is reinstalling windows needed when changing the mobo? It acted funny on the first boot but then I removed the old drivers and installed the new ones and everything is going well except that it feels a bit sluggish, you can tell it's a bit more slow than with the previous mobo.

Yep, will be ordering some.

As far as I've read on the internet it does seem the nb gets quite hot on these motherboards. Funny thing is, feeling around inside the pc, the heat seemed to be coming form the other one, the one on top of the CPU in that picture. I don't know if I can do the fan trick on that one without disrupting the airflow.

Regarding the ram, I do have 2x 4gb 1600 and 2x 4gb 1333, I've always had it on 1333 as far as i know.

Is reinstalling windows needed when changing the mobo? It acted funny on the first boot but then I removed the old drivers and installed the new ones and everything is going well except that it feels a bit sluggish, you can tell it's a bit more slow than with the previous mobo.
Putting a fan on the other heatsink "VRM" is also a good idea, I use one on mine because when water cooling you're basically removing the air flow that would be normally flowing over this area. This isn't the case with your set up but every bit helps with these processors and yes it does seem with those Msi boards they tend to run hot in that area. I don't think it's going to change the air flow much to be of any concern, at least it has never concerned me with my setup.

With the ram, do you really need more then 8g or memory? Unless you're using like 85% of it on a daily basis having 16g isn't making a difference and you're losing performance, however slightly, running at 1333 Mhz vs 1600 Mhz.

It's always a good idea to do a clean install when going from one chipset or manufacturer to another. If you swapped say an Asus 990Fx Sabertooth for a Asus 990Fx Chv motherboard then you probably wouldn't have to. Going from an Asrock with a AMD 870 chipset to a Msi with an AMD 970 chipset may be causing some conflicts.

My fan
IMG_3964a.jpg

Got that fan in place, yep it does seem to drop the temperature a bit and doesn't negatively impact anything yet.

I want to say a huge thanks to everyone who posted in here, you've all been great help to me and I wish I could buy you guys a round of beers.

Maybe I'll be back around here when I'm confident enough to start overclocking.

But for now I wish you only the best, thanks again.:beer:

Glad to see everything is working as it should now! :)

Now you can fully utilize the power of the 8 core monsters!

Got that fan in place, yep it does seem to drop the temperature a bit and doesn't negatively impact anything yet.

I want to say a huge thanks to everyone who posted in here, you've all been great help to me and I wish I could buy you guys a round of beers.

Maybe I'll be back around here when I'm confident enough to start overclocking.

But for now I wish you only the best, thanks again.:beer:
Glad we could help!

Back