• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Random HDD Access Program

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jex

Registered
Hello everyone! I have noticed some interest in a program that could randomly access HDDs for the purpose of showing off those wonderfully modded drives. I have also noticed that people haven't been able to find such a program. I mentioned this to my friend who is a Comp Sci major and he seemed quite interested in created such a program.

I would like to receive input as to what features you all would like it to have. I thought it would be neat if he could code in a feature where you can "train" the access times. Anyways, that's my two cents, so give me input please! :p

-jex

Are you asking for a program to cause the hard drive to seek to random sectors? In order to show off a windowed drive (and watch the head do it'd thing)?

I haven't heard of anything like that (or have a clue on how to write one), but I'll keep an eye out for a bit :)
JigPu

Yeah sure JigPu. The modding forum seems to have an interest in a program that could randomly access a harddrive (or random sectors). I think it would be nifty to have a program like that to show of those windowed HDDs.

-jex

You could try a hd-benchmark prg. Some of them will perform 'random' seek/write/read tests....

Some of them will perform 'random' seek/write/read tests

actually, random drive access is a mainstay of HD benchmark programs, so dont just show off that cool looking HD, show off the figures in the benchmark.

P.S. I never really understood windowing a HD, as the magnetic head is in pretty much precise alignment and it is very easy to get dust and other particles that will wedge between the head and the platters(unless you have totally sterile rooms).

Back