• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Random system restart

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Well I haven't even tried to raise the cpu clock yet, since today I power up pc and got the no signal issue again... after a manual shutdown it booted inmediately. This issue is quite weird because on Windows system runs just fine, there is no issue I could add; games run fine and there is no freezes or fps drops or any issue that could point what the problem is. I found on internet that there were some people with similar issues and guess what, all of these where using my new mobo. I didn't like from first time because when I restart or I first power on pc, there will be always room for "No signal" for a few seconds then I see the post letters with press X button to do X thing and thats oh nice it will boot and it does. But when I restart or it is first time in day I power on, I get the no signal and after a few seconds when the post should appear it just don't and get no signal forever until I manually reboot, othertimes If I let the computer there with no signal computer will shutdown by itself IDK why. then I power up and it just boot inmediately. I read somewhere it was bios version related so I will check that and if I can update it. So far I believe I'll save money and by end of year buy a new updated hardware generation model and put this pc under my car's tires lol.
PD: Could it be that actual cpu vcore is quite low for this motherboard to handle and thus sometimes it won't post? should I consider voltage as a possible root for this issue? thank you in advance.

Well I haven't even tried to raise the cpu clock yet, since today I power up pc and got the no signal issue again... after a manual shutdown it booted inmediately. This issue is quite weird because on Windows system runs just fine, there is no issue I could add; games run fine and there is no freezes or fps drops or any issue that could point what the problem is. I found on internet that there were some people with similar issues and guess what, all of these where using my new mobo. I didn't like from first time because when I restart or I first power on pc, there will be always room for "No signal" for a few seconds then I see the post letters with press X button to do X thing and thats oh nice it will boot and it does. But when I restart or it is first time in day I power on, I get the no signal and after a few seconds when the post should appear it just don't and get no signal forever until I manually reboot, othertimes If I let the computer there with no signal computer will shutdown by itself IDK why. then I power up and it just boot inmediately. I read somewhere it was bios version related so I will check that and if I can update it. So far I believe I'll save money and by end of year buy a new updated hardware generation model and put this pc under my car's tires lol.
PD: Could it be that actual cpu vcore is quite low for this motherboard to handle and thus sometimes it won't post? should I consider voltage as a possible root for this issue? thank you in advance.

Yes, it could. There should be a control somewhere in the bios that has to do with LLC (Load Line Calibration). Check and see what setting that is on. It might help to use a different setting for that.

what sounds like to me is happening is the core voltage or the RAM voltage is too low at start up. It takes a little more umph to get going from cold start.

I may be missing up something but I couldn't find any LLC values like in my old motherboard. However I found this: https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...-appears-only-after-several-restarts.1493288/

The guy there had exact same issue as me and he said it was a small thermal paste chunk between cpu pins, as far as I know I have always been very cautious about not messing there, but If that could be the reason behind my issue I'll have to wow again... dismantle pc and check there.

They stick LLC in different places. I would certainly think that good a motherboard like you have would have it. It's a gaming class motherboard.

Last edited:
Are you using the Asus in your signature or the Asrock board you linked to a review of earlier? Did anything change when you replaced the board the first time? Did replacing the PSU fix the original problem? If so I would say try going back to the first board.

They stick LLC in different places. I would certainly think that good a motherboard would have it. It's a gaming class motherboard.

Well I know it should but I think this mobo is a scam. Here is the manual: https://download.asrock.com/Manual/970M Pro3.pdf

There is no place where LLC is named, that makes sense because I was not able to find it by myself in bios, I'll doble check later. I just rebuilt the pc and checked cpu pins, a ultra small trace of hair was found but it was not between pins but on a corner and was obviously cleaned up, I also made sure no other ultra small dust or any visible trace of anything was left. I used a super thin toothbrush cut in half to softly clean the pins in case there was something I couldn't see with human eye capabilities. No bended pins were found. The cpu vcore only allows offset of +50 mV so IDK if to bump that up.

Oh, okay! I was assuming you were using the one in your signature. I lost track of the progress of this thread. Not as certain that the ASRock 970M Pro 3 would have that. It is by no means as good a board as the Asus one in your Sig. The ASRock has only a 4+1 power phase design and will not be as good an overclocker as the Asus board which has 6+2+2 power phase components.

Are you using the Asus in your signature or the Asrock board you linked to a review of earlier? Did anything change when you replaced the board the first time? Did replacing the PSU fix the original problem? If so I would say try going back to the first board.

Hello and thank you for your time.

I'm using the new mobo Asrock 970m pro3 since it's new it is free of any dust. I'm looking the chance as soon as the lockdown here is lift I'll be able to grab a compressed air can so I can clean the dust out of it and use it, clearly superior motherboard compared to my current one. The issue I had was a random reboot, which was becoming more and more frequent. I played poorly and didn't have my brothers PSU available so I did the metal clip testing for 24pins and voltages where on spec but later I did understand that test wasn't reliable at all. After new mobo arrived random restart was as usual, then finally was able to take my brothers PSU for a short time since he really needed hes pc for work so I did a fast test didn't even bother to uninstall my psu so I just put my brothers psu over a box and connected it to pc, computer booted just fine and after playing and doing stuff the random restart was gone, I say time to buy new psu. I got advice in this thread from nice people and bought the EVGA-600W 80 plus and random restart is gone as expected. But now I have this weird no signal issue I'm describing, but it could just be this bad joke motherboard; but I have to deal with it as far as I cannot clean my old one, all other parts on my computer are dust free so I don't want to make a mess out of that dust.

Oh, okay! I was assuming you were using the one in your signature. I lost track of the progress of this thread. Not as certain that the ASRock 970M Pro 3 would have that. It is by no means as good a board as the Asus one in your Sig. The ASRock has only a 4+1 power phase design and will not be as good an overclocker as the Asus board which has 6+2+2 power phase components.

Well good thing to know, I just want my system stable until I can install back the motherboard from my signature. I was checking rams configuration and IDK but as you can see on picture, I have selected the xmp profile but below this value is DRAM FRECUENCY and is set to AUTO, I don't know if I should change that to 1600, I thought that xmp profile would handle that? so I'm confused on these simple things...
EDIT1: Yes I had to, after I set 1600 I see proper timings on cpu-z, before seting this value it was showing wrong timings.
EDIT2: I realized on cpu-z that HT link speed is 2.000, on my old mobo I remember 2600; probably another downside of this motherboard?
EDIT3: Added pic of my old motherboard, so you can see how much dust it is; can it only be cleaned by compressed air can? or is any other option to do this?

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 66
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 67
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 67
Last edited:
If you have access to an air compressor I would blow the dust out. Before that, however, take an old tooth brush and brush out the excess thermal paste around the edge of the socket, being careful to brush in a direction away from the pin grid holes. Then blow the dust off the board.

If you have access to an air compressor I would blow the dust out. Before that, however, take an old tooth brush and brush out the excess thermal paste around the edge of the socket, being careful to brush in a direction away from the pin grid holes. Then blow the dust off the board.

Thanks, I have already cleaned that up I'm just waiting for the air can to arrive this weekend. I'm trying to solve current issue with no signal on boot, and I don't know why but cpu z mems reading are reverting I mean the timings are showing for example right now as below: I'll restart system get into bios and re set mems settings to see if it changes back to what I believe should be right timings. As you can see even with AMD turbo core enabled I'm not seeing the 4.100mhz it should... May this motherboard be just crap and not even support amd fx-8350?

Capture.png
cpu.png

As yo can se below after a restart and re set bios I get small fps boost probably from rams with correct timings... and after enabling APM and set turbo core to enabled cpu is now actually bumping to 4.100mhz at 1.360 vcore. If I run prime vcore will drop to 1.288v and cores will jump from 4.000 to 4.100 all the time, prob due to low voltage? this should be related to not having LLC support... So the big question could I get a RMA or reseller store will blame it on me? I mean this not booting issue is annoying as hell, the weird part it is everytime it fails to boot, the next power on always works 100%. The second boot attempt never fails, so IDK whats going on, and after it boots for example now that I'm on windows after re setting bios and getting turbo core to work and mem timings ok, the computer runs very good, I can't even complain about that... But wow, just wow. How akward to be honest.

cpuzlatest.png
tc.png

Last edited:
It should support it at stock frequencies and voltages but maybe not overclocked. VRM is too weak. You could probably overclock a 95 watt TDP CPU on the board but probably not a 125 watt TDP CPU.

Attachments

• FX-8350.png
    FX-8350.png
    71 KB · Views: 52
So you are talking about compressed air in cans. I was talking about an air compressor; a machine with a motor and an air tank that makes it's own compressed air. Do you have access to one?

Given your situation this should be adequate as long as you're not overclocking (the poor ripple suppression will cause problems overclocking) https://www.solotodo.com/products/22103-evga-600w-100-w1-0600-k1-600-w. Here is a review from one of the toughest / most skilled PSU reviewers out there http://www.jonnyguru.com/blog/2014/06/23/evga-500w-w1-power-supply/6/

That said it's a 6 year old design and probably won't last you for 10 years, but you never know.

I would not get the one you linked, 700W is excessive. As far as I can tell the benefit of going with a BR or BQ unit over the regular 80+ unit is pretty minimal. I wouldn't pay more money for a lower capacity BR or BQ unit.

I did find this unit https://www.solotodo.com/products/45747-seasonic-focus-650-gold-ssr-650fm-650-w, however it is over budget. That said it really will probably last you 10 years and save you money in the long run (not because of efficiency but because of not buying more power supplies).

Well, I don't think I could get one of those... I'll try tho. No, I have not tried to overclock at all, all I'm trying to achieve is why after I set proper bios settings, if I shutdown pc next boot will give no signal to monitor and after that I get a message about too many failed boot attempts and press x for bios or let UEFI starts, if I let UEFI starts and it boots just fine, but bios settings are reverted back as I shown in pictures above. That's why I asked if there was a RMA chance for me from your view. Prob reseller store will tell me go ask Asus lol.

RMA? Where did you get the second board? I doubt Asus and ASRock still stocks those old motherboards. Besides, they are out of warranty. I assumed you purchased the ASRock used from ebay or something. You do realize your talking about technology that is 6 years old, don't you?

RMA? Where did you get the second board? I doubt Asus and ASRock still stocks those old motherboards. Besides, they are out of warranty. I assumed you purchased the ASRock used from ebay or something. You do realize your talking about technology that is 6 years old, don't you?

Yes I know it's old technology, and no it was not used. It was bought at tech reseller store which had it in stock 100% new mobo, even if it is old technology it is supposed to work with old technology, I'm not puting a ryzen on it. It says it support my hardware then it should or it is just scam. I'll contact Asus tho and see If they say something useful. This thread can be close thanks everyone for your help.

But I don't understand your issue here. The new ASRock motherboard does support your CPU. It works doesn't it? It's just not appropriate for overclocking the CPU. But neither Asus or ASRock make compatibility claims based on overclocking.

But I don't understand your issue here. The new ASRock motherboard does support your CPU. It works doesn't it? It's just not appropriate for overclocking the CPU. But neither Asus or ASRock make compatibility claims based on overclocking.

I'm not overclocking, I'm facing the issue where If I shutdown pc, and then power up I'll get a no signal to monitor and screen will go to idle but the computer will stay on with fans spining adn everything, so I have to press power button for like 3 seconds so it will force shutdown and then power up again, after this I get message that there were many boot attempts failed "it was only one it is always only one" and it will boot "this second attempts always work 100%" so I get into windows open cpu z and my mems timings are wrong as shown in pictures above. Then I restart computer and it does not fail to boot and after I get to windows I open again cpu z and check mem timings and they are ok as how I set them in bios and computer works flawless there, I can restart again and it will be fine. But as soon as I shutdown pc, next time I power up I'll get the no signal to monitor, I'll have to shutdown and power up, it will send message too many failed boots and after message it will boot just fine to windows I open cpuz wrong mem timings, I restart pc then mem timings are ok. I shut down pc and you know how this loop goes. I have my gskill mems in A2 B2 slots, and kingston in A1 B1 slots, I believe this is right for dual channel but I don't know because this motherboard has all memory slots in black color, and explaination on manual is very confusing.

Sorry, I got this thread confused with another one apparently. Thanks for your understanding. When you get the Auss board cleaned up and back in, if this problem disappears then yes, I would say you have grounds for a return and refund of the ASRock board.

Sorry, I got this thread confused with another one apparently. Thanks for your understanding. When you get the Auss board cleaned up and back in, if this problem disappears then yes, I would say you have grounds for a return and refund of the ASRock board.

Yes thank you for all your help. I finally found the issue, it was mem related, this crap motherboard only supports Kingston brand mems up to 1.333 mhz mine is 1.600, g.skill mems are supported up to 1.800 mine are 1.600 so I had to force slower timings on kingston and now it seems issue is gone. Please close thread lol. Thank you all again.

found.PNG

Last edited:
Back