• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Random thoughts on my speakers

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DaFonz

Just thought I'd write some stuff about what I'm listening to now.

Equipment used at this moment in time.
M-audio soundcard
Dahlquist QX6 bookshelves
SVS 20-39 PC+
Onkyo HTR-510

Biwiring is cool, but not for the reasons you may think. Yes I am biwiring my speakers with homemade biwiring cables (http://www.1-2-3-direct.com/DSC00112.JPG). Now lots of people claim biwiring will make things sound better - I did some tests (non blind) and I personally couldn't hear the difference. Why do I do it? Well, the wiring looks cool and I had extra banana plugs that I wanted to use. It took me about an hour to make 2 30ft lengths of braided bi-wired cables... which makes me wonder.. how the hell can companies justify charging so much?

Anyways, on to the stuff that you guys would actually want to know about. First off, my bookshelves. I had a set in December, sold them in January and got a chance to pick up another set just recently. When I first got them, I knew nothing about speakers and was happy I had them. Now that I've done more listening to other stuff and kinda know what to look and listen for, I must admit, I'm even more impressed.

I went with some different music today (stuff I use to listen to, but don't for whatever reason) and was very impressed because of the way these speakers just for lack of a better word... *sing*. Going from everything from classical to dave matthews to no doubt to pop, these speakers just give a great image and are clear... but not to the point where you can't listen to them. I just love closing my eyes and listening to them... very hard to place the speakers even though I have them set up pretty poorly.

I can't explain it, but these are very easy to listen to without being laidback. I've listened to them with and without a subwoofer and they hit low, but not quite that low.

Which brings me to my next point - the SVS... WOW. I tuned it to my towers, but it blends seemlessly with my bookshelves without changing anything. It's big, it takes up a lot of space, but wow does it ever play cleanly.

The other subwoofer which I've spent a lot of time (being defined as more than 5 months) with was the one that came with the promedia 5.1 It did a great job as a computer sub, but it was always too murky for my tastes.

With the SVS now, I have it placed in the corner behind me (I'm packing so I have limited space) and every single bass note feels like it's coming from the bookshelves. It's weird. I always thought good bass was something other than what I feel with teh SVS... but the more I listen to it, the more I like it... Just having that extra definition down there and being able to feel the bass drum kicks in some songs is simply amazing... then hearing some classical tracks where the music goes nice and low... breathtaking.

It's a shame that my bookshelves will be gone as of monday. :( I get harddrives instead! :)

Why don't you guys share a little about your systems?

DaFonz,
It is a pleasure to hear from people who actually are content with what they have and can appreciate music on whatever system they have.There are far too many audio snobs out there that do more talking about their equipment and lack there of,than listening to music!
I love music also.I can listen to good music on a clock radio for hours and still get chills from a great song if thats what I have available. I happen to do most of my listening here at the pc for convenience reasons and time restraints.
I am currently using 2 Athena BS-1 bookshelves powered by a SonyTA-N55ES amplifier
with a usb soundblaster mp3+ soundcard.The sound is more than adequate and I dont really plan to upgrade.I might upgrade to a M-audio transit usb card down the line though.I listen to cd's but most of the time WMA or mp3's again for convenience.
So as you can tell we are a bit alike in the way that we are listening to our music and not the equipment so much.Audiophiles need not apply at my place,They ruin the music! Have fun and good luck with the move.

I listen to music on my cheap Koss headphones in the most quiet room in my house... my room. Even if they aren't premiere quality headphones, I can still hear the bass and every lyric to my favorite groups/singers... Pillar, Kutless, and Jennifer Knapp. Donwstairs, I have an Altec Lansing 2.1 setup that cost close to $100 to get a couple years back. When I put this with ITunes and 160 kbps stereo AAC files, the speakers give me a sense of well, idk how to explain it... rich bass and the drums sound so clear... it's like immersing yourself into a fountain of sound...

Dafonz: i absolutely love my SVS....so clean so loud so powerful and....so affordable :clap:

d4rr3n said:
Dafonz: i absolutely love my SVS....so clean so loud so powerful and....so affordable :clap:

Amen to that! :)

Which one do you have?

I got the 25-31PCi, it's their cheapest/weakest sub and it's more than i need really. It's more than enough in my medium to large HT system in my basement (about 16'x32'). Even at half volume it's more than most people could handle and it's still clean and shaking the house.

Back