• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

randomly locking up

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

erfg1

Registered
Hey everyone! I have a small issue, I'm sure it's just something I've probobly done in the motherboard configuration that is causing this.

Here is my new computer hardware...

Intel BOXDX58OG LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

EVGA 012-P3-1571-AR GeForce GTX 570 HD w/Display-Port (Fermi) 1280MB 320-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support ...

Intel Core i7-950 Bloomfield 3.06GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor BX80601950

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL (3 packs of 2)

OCZ Agility 3 AGT3-25SAT3-120G 2.5" 120GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

Thermaltake TR-800P TR2 BRONZE 800W ATX 12V V2.3 / EPS 12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply

My issue is that when I put in all 24gigs of ram, the computer randomly locks up. I would like to say that it's only in Windows 7 (64 bit), but it's actually happening in the boot sequence sometimes.

The harddrive is plugged into an SATAIII slot on the motherboard. (this is my second harddrive, newegg sent me a bad one, had to return it and buy a new one at compusa).

My thinking is that it could be a memory timing issue. When set to automaticly detect the timings in the motherboard it says that the memory is tCL = 7, tRCD = 7, tRP = 7, and tRAS = 18. So I set them to tCL = 9, tRCD = 9, tRP = 9, and tRAS = 24. But some of these other options in the motherboard BIOS I have never heard of before, so I don't know what to set them to. I also tried bumping up the voltage slightly, which only causes the BIOS to say it cannot post, and therefore a change needs to be made in the BIOS. Then locks up.

It seems when I plug in less ram (not the full 24gigs), the computer either doesn't freeze or it prolongs normal behavior.

photozmk.jpg

You only need to manually set 5 or 6 of the timing parameters as they are the only important ones. Leave the others on Auto. If you will run CPU-z and look at the JEDEC columns under the "SPD" tab it will give you the appropriate voltage and timings for the important parameters at several different speeds for that make and model of ram. That info is encoded on the ram module at the factory and is being read by the program.

I'm more concerned about the sheer amount of ram you are running. I haven't heard of anyone running that much ram. I wonder if you are overloading the CPU's integrated memory controller. You might try bumping up the ram voltage a little, say from 1.5 to 1.55 and if there is a setting in bios for the IMC voltage, bump it up a little too. I'm an AMD guy so I can't help you with the specifics in the bios.

According to CPU-z JEDEC #6 says I can do 11,11,11,30,41 at 1.50 V

I guess I'll try that setting. I will lower the voltage from 1.51 to 1.50 as well. I'll let you know if it locks up again.

Nope, the new manual settings still caused it to lockup. I tried both JEDEC #6 and #5 settings.

I was in Windows 7 installing some games, and it locked up both times during install. So I removed 1 stick of ram, kept the settings in there and made it through all the installs fine with no lockups.

Nope, the new manual settings still caused it to lockup. I tried both JEDEC #6 and #5 settings.

I was in Windows 7 installing some games, and it locked up both times during install. So I removed 1 stick of ram, kept the settings in there and made it through all the installs fine with no lockups.

This may confirm what I was talking about when I expressed concern about the sheer volume of your ram. When you took one stick out you were no longer in dual channel mode which is more demanding, pickier than single channel. Of course, it could also be explained by that one stick you took out or that slot you vacated being bad. Why in the world do you need so much ram. What kind of apps are you running that can benefit from that much memory?

Back