• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

rankings of cooling goop

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jiggamanjb

this is a good read

Picture.jpg

At first it seems like he's right, any thermal paste will do. But what he didn't take into consideration is that AS5 and other thermal compounds need "break-in" time to work to their fullest.

I also have to question whether he not only used the correct method of application, but the thinnest application possible (Not just slopping it around).

IWasHungry said:
I also have to question whether he not only used the correct method of application, but the thinnest application possible (Not just slopping it around).

Well the "correct" method for AS5, that is the method reccommended by the manufacturer for cpus with IHS is to put a bb-sized ball of paste in the middle of the IHS over the core and compress it. :shrug:

i'll still stick with the AS5, but i thought it was interesting. note that the copper stuff really was crappy.

I read that too, and wondered if it let the stuff burn in. But it's still interesting, esp. w/ reguard to the copper.

Before using AS5 on my last build, I always used radioshack's paste. I always had decent temps/overclocks with it. :shrug: It's weird how the paste does as well as non-broken in AS5 in that test under load. I don't know about the whole "breaking-in" thing for thermal pastes. I didn't notice any difference after having the AS5 used for months compared to the temps when I first applied it. I wonder if anyone actually noticed a significant temperature drop from letting it break in?

i would have liked to see a week of burn in. if the temps were the same then, maybe we don't know what we are talking about...... :shrug:

Artic ceramique has never failed me, plus it's the only stuff I use on all my builds. I even use it when swapping tim on video cards.

I neved noticed the AS5 burn in either. In fact, I notice the opposite, where after a while the stuff dries out, and temps increase. When it lacks the fluidity, it simply doesn't transfer heat well it seems.

Indyxc1 said:
I neved noticed the AS5 burn in either. In fact, I notice the opposite, where after a while the stuff dries out, and temps increase. When it lacks the fluidity, it simply doesn't transfer heat well it seems.

Yeah I saw absoluetly no measureable difference. I seriously wonder if it's just something the manufacturer puts out so that people think that it will peform better down the road, and so you can't compare it directly to other pastes. :shrug:

i noticed a difference it temps after burning in my cpu with p95 on and off. i would run p95 when i wasnt using my gaming computer. temps would hit 56-58c with p95 set on max heat with ram settings on it.

after a couple of weeks my temps dropped to 52-55c running p95. maybe i used to much as5 and it settled?

Back