• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

rants/questions/and a nice little story.....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

osu32

Registered
wassup ya'all. Sorry for not posting lately, but school's been a bit rough these days. Anyways, I guess I could let you in on the news in my life. First and foremost, my computer died. That's right, my 1.4 Ghz T-bird finally had enough heat and fried its little self to oblivion.

(RANT SECTION:)
If any of you out there value your cpu and the hard-earned (for some of us) dollars that it took to buy it, do not, I repeat, DO NOT buy/use a Golden Orb heat sink!!!! They are the embodiment of all that is evil in a cooling unit! Over the last 7 months, I saw my idle temps go from 47C (not good) to 58C (borderline hideous). All of this rising peaked Thursday when, as I was monitoring my temps, I saw them steadily climb to a painful 68C over 5 minutes of IDLING! I obviously felt the need to shut off, so I did. I gave the old girl a night to think about what she'd done. Saturday, I thought, "hey, maybe a little rest did some good", so I tried booting up..............video card screen.............blank screen............check signal screen...............still no post.................ummmmmm, what's that smell?................. 5 seconds of power and I fried the cpu! So to make a long rant short: DON'T BUY GOLDEN ORBS!!!

(STORY SECTION:)
I don't quit. Even when it's my 21st and I'm totally wasted and my 3 brothers are pinning me to the ground, I keep yelling, "I can take you all on, c'mon you b*tches!" I certainly wasn't going to beaten by a toasted processor, so I went ahead that very night and ordered a brand-spankin' new AthlonXP 1800+. I would've ordered the oem, but I'm sure as sh*t not going to use that golden orb ever again, not even as a paperweight, in fact, I've buried it under a pile of rat feces in the crawl space of my house! So the plan is to use the factory hs/fan (i know they suck) until I get my tax return and can afford watercooling. I also would've gotten a better processor, but my msi turbo-lite only supports up to 1800+. Anyway, on with the questions......

(QUESTION SECTION:)
Like I said, I'm going to watercool, but I don't want any one kit. I like bits and pieces from a couple places and this is where the problem comes in: I have decided on the pump/reservoir from http://www.overclockershideout.com because of it's huge flow rate and smooth looking reservoir; I like the radiator (the big one) from http://www.aquastealth.com mostly cause it's huge!; and I like the waterjackets from http://www.koolance.com because they look sharp and have good, solid mounting brackets. The only thing that makes these pieces incompatable is that the barbs on the jackets from koolance are 1/4" and the OD of the reservoir and radiator are 3/8". My questions are these:
If I put a 3/8" --> 1/4" reducer in the line before the jackets and then do the opposite before the radiator, am I going to have problems with pressure, leaks, flow rates, etc.? Or should I just buckle and get the jackets from somewhere else?
How (if possible) can I hardwire the power from my pump into my psu so that I don't have to unplug it every time I turn my computer off? If not possible (AC/DC incompatability), could I wire the main power switch to the pump for the same reason as above?

(THE END:)
Sorry for taking up so much time and space, but I had to vent to those who are sympathetic to my plight (not like my parents who just say, "Why the hell aren't you spending all this money on books?!?!?!") I hope you can feel my pain (but I hope you never HAVE to). Anyways... if someone could give me some feedback on these issues of mine, I would be forever in your debt!

Cheers!:beer:

Last edited:
Well, the 500 GPH pump from overclockers hideout plugs directly into a 12v Molex fitting on your power supply. that was easy. The z4 water block they sell is also a very nice one, and will mostlikely perform better than the koolance one. With a 500GPH pump you dont want to have high pressures, so id try to stay away from the flow reducers.

Hope this helps. If you still got questions feel free to ask them.

Back