• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Raptor 74 gig Raid "O" benchmarks.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

krag

Classifieds Moderator
Well, all I can say is......very nice!! I am very pleased with the performance and the quiteness of these drives. :D They even sound different, instead of the metallic whine of the older Raptors I can hear a subduded bubbling sound...that I can only hear when my case is open. I have gotten some very nice scores from this array. I am using the latest Raid drivers and Raid Application Accelerator from theI ntel site. My array is a 64k stripe.

My old Sandra bench with 2 36gig Raptors in Raid O was 54K.

My new Sandra bench with 2 74gig Raptors is 82K!!:eek:

Attachments

• 1st 74gig raptor raid o sandra.jpg
    1st 74gig raptor raid o sandra.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 314
OP
krag

krag

Classifieds Moderator
Here is my ATTO scores!

Attachments

• 74gig raptor raid o atto.jpg
    74gig raptor raid o atto.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 290
OP
krag

krag

Classifieds Moderator
Here is the HD Tach scores....this score seems lower than the other 2 for some reason.

Attachments

• hd tach before defrag.jpg
    hd tach before defrag.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 232

Vio1

can u repost that and wait for the cpu utilization to show up... you have to wait a few seconds after it finishes... more info shows up.

OP
krag

krag

Classifieds Moderator
Sure thing.

Attachments

• after defrag raid o.jpg
    after defrag raid o.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 243
OP
krag

krag

Classifieds Moderator
scanido said:

Other than benchies, can you honestly say they 'feel' faster over the orginal raptors?

Nope! :cool:

OP
krag

krag

Classifieds Moderator
Vio1 said:
i think it might be due to the large stripe size.. if you had 16k or 8k it would do better

You were right. Here is a Sandra bench of my new 16k array. it beats my other Sandra by 4K+.

Attachments

• 16k 74gig raptors striping.jpg
    16k 74gig raptors striping.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 190
OP
krag

krag

Classifieds Moderator
Namagomi said:
Well hell, I'm only getting 71531 with my 16k striped 74gig raptors. What are the usual supsects for a low score?

It might be due to the SATA raid chip that you're using. Are you using the onboard SATA chip on the AMD board in your sig? I am using the Intel ICH5 built in SATA raid chip. Intel really did a good job with the ICH5. I'm not too familiar with your config.

And besides....my score will degrade according to the programs I load and day to day useage of my array. Thats been my experience anyways.

OP
krag

krag

Classifieds Moderator
Namagomi said:
Oh. I've got the onboard Sil3116, but would controllers make that much of a difference?

I don't know from personal experience, but thats what I've read here in the forums from other threads. Donnypaycheck would know for sure...he is the resident MOD/RAID/MASTER.:attn:

Namagomi

Disabled
krag said:

I don't know from personal experience, but thats what I've read here in the forums from other threads. Donnypaycheck would know for sure...he is the resident MOD/RAID/MASTER.:attn:

Thank.

And hell, defraging only lowered my Sandra score. I'm about to scrap it and try ATTO.