• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Raptor falling in price

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NewbiePerson

Not sure if anyone has noticed but the raptor has gone down in price at newegg a bit. It's now $144.

bafbrian

LOL

I am just the opposite. I prefer speed over space because I never use that much of it anyway. I am using an old 20Gig right now and I still have over 12Gig left. I have been using it for over a year.

Money + ME + New Raptor = :drool:

stereo555

Overclocking is music to my soul
Yeh ,
Nice to see the raptors fall in price so quick :D

They were $175 at Newegg not long ago .

I too would rather see more speed than size ; being I have 160gig's with my 2 80gig WDSE's (in RAID0) that I may never use ; considering my average usage of 30-40 gigs .

Zerileous

hehe, im on a 8 gig HDD here and im not dying of space neglect, as long as i dont fill it up with too much junk im cool (ie i must try new proggies on my moms puter)

OP
N

NewbiePerson

and for those of you who don't have a onboard serial controller. I noticed computer geeks has the silicon one for $30. Which is the best to use with the raptor according to storage review. They used some other controller and recorded higher seek times than the silicon.

attack

I think in order to buy these they would have to drop to sub 100's (that's for me to buy). I need about 40-60gb's so 2 would be great because you KNOW there gonna be RAIDED :) I don't think it's worth 300 bucks when for 100 you can get 2 40gb drives and get pretty good performance. Also can someone who has 2 of these set the record strait on thier sound? I've heard there like regular IDE drives, and I've heard a figure of 43db! reviews are ranged all over too.

PhobMX

hmm, didnt think about that... 2 raided drives might be as much as fast but half the price...

The problem is i like to partition my junk drive, so mp3s wont clutter around movies, etc

anvil82

The great thing about the raptor drives is the 5 year warranty, and the fact that they dont get really slow toward the end of the drive.

OP
N

NewbiePerson

Transfers and load times are faster in raid0 but lower seek times=better desktop performance and all around performance. Not to mention raid uses more of ur cpu power than just a regular drive does. And you don't have to worry about the heat from 2 drives near each other. I'm sure just one of these drives would be about the same performance as 2 normal (non 8mb cache) 7200rpm drives in raid0 if not better.

One Cool Dude

Disabled
Are the Raptors really that much better than a 7200 rpm 8mb cache? Ive got 2 80 gigs with those specs and they seem pretty fast to me, but im ready to abandon maxtor, ive burned out about 6 hardrives in the last year.

attack

I would disagree with the fact that 1 raptor is faster than 2 raided IDE drives (2mb or 8mb doesn't matter in RAID 0....just search and browse you'll see what i meen). yes the seek is faster, but there's more bandwidth from 2 RAID 0 IDE's than a raptor. It all really comes down to cash. If you want performance you get 2 RAID 0 raptors...otherwise regular ol IDE is much better/cheaper.

Also Phob I dont' understand what you meen about partitioning...you can partition a single raptor drive, or 2 RAID 0 raptors...same with IDE...your OS will see 1 drive either way which you can use the built in windows disk manager to partition and what not....or if you already made your OS on the whole thing you gonna need partition magic.

PhobMX

ajrettke said:
Also Phob I dont' understand what you meen about partitioning...you can partition a single raptor drive, or 2 RAID 0 raptors...same with IDE...your OS will see 1 drive either way which you can use the built in windows disk manager to partition and what not....or if you already made your OS on the whole thing you gonna need partition magic.

Ive heard that partitioning raid0s will mess up the performance, maybe just a baseless rant. Also i tried partition magic and it corrupted the hard drive, trust me its not that reliable (what i had is linux and windows with respective swapfile partitions, i just rezised and move, is that so difficult???)

PandaMoOo

Registered
One Cool Dude said:
Are the Raptors really that much better than a 7200 rpm 8mb cache? Ive got 2 80 gigs with those specs and they seem pretty fast to me, but im ready to abandon maxtor, ive burned out about 6 hardrives in the last year.

I don't know much else but the specs are 10,000 RPMs with a 5 year warranty. Imagine if hard drive makers included a lifetime warranty ;) Of course it'll never happen because they're so mechanical...

fiji

PhobMX said:
hmm, didnt think about that... 2 raided drives might be as much as fast but half the price...

The problem is i like to partition my junk drive, so mp3s wont clutter around movies, etc

yea,b ut you could get 2 raptors in raid-0 *drool on*