• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Raptor Reliabiltiy?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

How long till the click of death? [WD Raptor]

• Total voters

hafa

We've been seeing a trend of Raptor 150 failures lately; approximately 12.5% in the last year; all failures thus far have all been click of death. Since our sampling pool of 40 drives is really small, I was wondering what others here are experiencing. How many others have seen early (< 2 years service) failure as of late?

A few notes:

• All drives are mounted in front of 120mm fans; heat is not an issue
  • All drives see heavy use; they are, after all purportedly "enterprise class"
  • No other SATA drives have failed in the last year; only the Raptor 150s; we've installed 120 Seagate 7200.x series drives over the last year.

Th3 F4ll3n P1mp

Disabled
Wow...thats pretty bad. I hope mine wont fail that soon... Now I have to buy a 500 gig internal one for huge files instead of a bunch of raptors. :(

Super Nade

† SU(3) Moderator  †
Poll added. Votes are public. I'm very interested in the results as my data is on two raptors! Been using them for about two years now. No issues.

Shiggity

150gb 10k rpm raptor /w active cooling

no problems after 4 months with heavy use (my only HDD atm), we'll have to see how it is in another 8 months :)

Edit - Still going strong with 0 problems after 6 months.

Last edited:

fishyflush

Registered
I have the older 74gb version 8mb cache, and mine works like a charm...it;s even out of warranty now....almost 6 years old....never an issue. I love it.

Hazaro

We've been seeing a trend of Raptor 150 failures lately; approximately 12.5% in the last year; all failures thus far have all been click of death. Since our sampling pool of 40 drives is really small, I was wondering what others here are experiencing. How many others have seen early (< 2 years service) failure as of late?

A few notes:

• All drives are mounted in front of 120mm fans; heat is not an issue
  • All drives see heavy use; they are, after all purportedly "enterprise class"
  • No other SATA drives have failed in the last year; only the Raptor 150s; we've installed 120 Seagate 7200.x series drives over the last year.

170 drives? Do you house the library of Congress on your island?! :eek:

My concerns came up when I felt that my drive was too fast (WD6400AAKS), but then I thought about it and my 25MB/s Maxtor from a few years ago, to my 60MB/s Samsung, to my 90MB/s WD is just continual.

Of course they aren't spinning at 15k RPM :)

p.s. have you received the case yet?

toy4x4

Registered
I have 2. One failed within 3 years other has not. WD replaced the failed one under warranty with no issues.

fabulouscoops

I have three 36 GB raptors for 3 or more years, all running fine.
Also, three 74 GB raptors. One started to give signs of failure through SMART and I took it off line after I had it a year (But I bought it used off Ebay). The other two are >2 years old and going strong.

tuskenraider

I'm guessing the OP really wants data on the 150, not the others. Either way, I've had 5 various Raptors over multiple years with no problems, no 150's though.

freeagent

ive had mine since september, so far its pretty sweet. i just bought another one to try in raid, but mainly because i just wanted another one :) now the velociraptor is out! yum

OP
hafa

hafa

170 drives? Do you house the library of Congress on your island?! :eek:

No, but we have nearly 400 customers at this time. ;)

tuskenraider said:
I'm guessing the OP really wants data on the 150, not the others. Either way, I've had 5 various Raptors over multiple years with no problems, no 150's though.

Actually, the thread title is appropriate; any input is welcome, as we've had quite a few 74's fail as well. This is just kind of a pseudo-scientific way to figure out if they're perhaps susceptible to failure in our specific environment, if we just have poor luck, or if our experience with these drives are similar to others.

RollingThunder

Destroyer of Trolls & Spammers
Poll added. Votes are public. I'm very interested in the results as my data is on two raptors! Been using them for about two years now. No issues.

S/N,

Another thread and my post on the subject:

http://www.ocforums.com/showpost.php?p=5588506&postcount=10

The one in my sig is failing, it's only a matter of time. It gets lite duty, no gaming. It's a warranty issue, I'll get another one from WD when it's time. Been in use 2 1/2 years.