• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Raptor speed in raid 0 not seem right

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

splateee

Hello,

i just upgraded my system to the following

xp barton 2500
2 x corsair pc3200 256meg
msi K7N2 Delta -ILSR mobo
2 x WD raptors in SATA raid 0

i set the raid up with a 64k stripe size. When i ran sandra i got a score of 22,965 is this because of the stripe size? This seems way to low, my 80gig wd got a higher score then this.

I checked the onboard Promise SATA raid controller and it said that the drives were running in mode U5 which is a 100mb/sec....now these drives are rated for 150mb/sec....this can't be right.

this is the score i got in pcmark

http://service.futuremark.com/compare?pcm=1314662

Is it the onboard controller causing the low scores in sandra?

Any help or ideas would be great.

Thank you

the pcmark looks on the mark.
sandra can be flakey,so over look that for a bit.
try atto and hd tach and look at those.should be in the 100,000 area on the end of them.

my isp is blowing chunks and i cant download pcmark to compare for ya.do a search here and you can find some of my sandra and atto benches to compare with.

thnx for the reply,

i was wondering if sandra was lying :p

my other question is why doe it say i am running in mode U5 which is 100mb/sec in the configuration setup in the onboard Promise SATA controller? I think it should be higher.

thank you

The speed gain will not be from the interface but from the spindle speed, no single drive configuration will hit 150MB/s not even 15,000RPM SCSI drives. When you compare HDD performance try ATTO & not PCMark or Sandra.

Back