• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Raptors are HOT!!!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

I.M.O.G.

Glorious Leader
Yeah, they can get toasty. Whether actual burns would be realized, I dunno, but they can get very warm.

The warmer the drive, the shorter the MTBF = Mean Time Between Failure. A cool drive is a happy drive, and you do want your drive to be happy don't you? :)

In my praetorian case, I have my raptor and two 7200/8mb maxtors in RAID0 mounted in the drive bay right behind my two front intake panaflo L1A's. They are quiet and give plenty of good airflow to keep the drives reasonably cool. I expect them to last me quite some time into the futurem, but if they were running hot, I would do backups much more frequently.

OP
Nandro

Nandro

Disabled
I am feeling the sides of them and they are pretty darn hot. I have both sides off my case and the air from my airconditioner passes over that direction however lightly. I didnt think drives got that warm. Is there a way to check them? I got them at different times, they couldnt possibly both be bad right?

Randyman...

My Maxtor "Diamond Max 9" 160Giggers run WAAAAAAAYYYYYYY hotter than my WD 36G Raptor AND the WD 200G SATA. I am actually suprised that a 10,000RPM drive runs so cool compared to the Maxtors.

Check airflow like mentioned. Even with my Raptors clearly out of the breeze of the intake fan (and the Maxtors direclty in front of the 120mm fan) - the Maxtors still run HOTTER!

Later :cool:

Drec

you can put some heatsinks on it to if you want it nice and cool ;)

Randyman...

The sides of my 36Gig Raptor do have finned edges, and a VERY heavy case to "Sink the Heat". Do the larger Raptors not have these fins? :cool:

Drec

dont know im happy with my Hitachi and if your looking for a drive that has alot more space id recommend getting a 200GB one i love my 120's

I.M.O.G.

Glorious Leader
Running warm would not indicate that the drives are bad... You would be getting read/write errors and/or blue screens.

You need some direct airflow over high speed drives, and it would make a world of difference. :)

OP
Nandro

Nandro

Disabled
Yea, I'd say pretty warm. I put a fan to blow across them from the side and it helps alot, but nothing that a real case fan could do. I was thinking of water cooling them in their own loop