• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

RC Car mod

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Cyrix_2k

Last year, I modded an RC car my neighbor got a yard for $2.

At first, we used the original 6 volt battery, but it didn't have a chrager so we fashioned are own. We hooked it up to the rcator battery in my neighbors garage. It would charge in about 2mins! :D One day, we left the battery on a bit too long and started smoking and melted. You can still see the mark on the garage floor :D

To fix the battery problem, I cut the roof off and part of the bed on the avalanch and sat a 4.5 AH 12v battery in it. Even though it was heavy, it still went MUCH faster compared to the 6v. Heck, it even did wheelies! :cool: I also added a rino liner with some black primer.

The only problem with this setup was that it slightly top heavy :( It would roll over when trying to make sharp turns. It was really bad when we attached a flashlight to the accent bar in the back for some nightime driving.

As always, all good things must come to an end. I ran the vehicle through a puddle and no immediate problems were spotted. However, when were jumping ramps in my garage, I lost reverse (my brakes) and it ran into our garage door. A short while later I lost the ability to turn and it caught on fire. That was the end of the avalanch.

OP
Cyrix_2k

Cyrix_2k

Pics:)

scar2.jpg

scar3.jpg

scar4-rc.jpg

scar5.jpg

schip.jpg

Notice the white junk around the chip?

Thanks a million to Bubba Gump for uploading these to the theforumisdown.com.

Last edited:
OP
Cyrix_2k

Cyrix_2k

Sorry, I don't know. I have virtually the same problem here. All it does is go forward. Buy one at a yard asle for $2 :D BTW, I looked that avalnach up and it used to sell for $60+ when my neighbor bought it. If we had known that, it probably wouldn't have been modded.

Edit: notice it's missing a tire? lol I had it propped up on a spray paint can! It's been in my graveyard pile for a year and a half. The pile consists of:

-TI-83+ (works if hit it long enough. lol)
-Chevy Avalanch RC Car
-Radioshack Jeep RC car
-in dash 8-track player (remeber those? I sure don't as I'm 14)
-386 lappy ac adaptor
-2 HSP micromodem 56's (they're new, so they work, but I feel sorry for the people who have to use 'em)
-old speakers
-2 gameboys
-keyboard
-misc stuff

Last edited:

skidooosl

caught on fire? ROCK ON!!!! :D i did that with one of those old outlaws... u remember them.... the rc cars that had a engine with 2 more AA you snap in the back... i stuck a DC power supply in there with 24 volts.... wanna talk about weelies!!! lol!!! it would do some wicked burnouts!!! wow.... that was a LONG time ago! how time does fly

OP
Cyrix_2k

Cyrix_2k

I ran the Radioshack RC car on 18v from a wall adaptor. It was intended for an input voltage of 3v. That thing flew for a few minutes, the it just stopped working.

The Avalanch did catch on fire. I unplugged the battery and threw it in our sink. It really stunk afterwards. I guess a cap blew up ? I don't know. There actually were flames next to the battery. It melted my battery too. I didn't keep the battery so i don't have any pics.

OP
Cyrix_2k

Cyrix_2k

I'm going to have to agree with you. How fast is that? It looks sweeeet. Off road racing I take it? That kicks butt. Also, how long does it run before needing for fuel?

OP
Cyrix_2k

Cyrix_2k

Those are sweet. Ok, please forgive me about calling it an RC. I listed it that way because it said RC on the controller. I know it's a toy and not a PRO RC, but it's still remote contolled.

bubba gump

Your pics still seem to be down :(

I want to see it...but I can't coz of the infamous red X's

Nice lookin RC's there you guys got :)

Fold and Frag on
Brian

OP
Cyrix_2k

Cyrix_2k

dorimon,

Did you paint your truck yourself. It looks awesome!

BTW, pic are up now. I switched hosts. Stupid yahoo geocities

dorimon81

Ya I painted the truck by myself. The paint comes in a spray can and its for polycarbonate and lexan plastics. It's pretty easy to do. I have an older Alfa Romeo car and I painted it racing red, but I bought some black window paint and it wrecked my whole car. I decided not to go with the window tint for this baby.

OP
Cyrix_2k

Cyrix_2k

does anyone know of a place where I can host pics without a bandwidth cap? I've already used 50% of my bandwidth on the other pic hosting place.

OP
Cyrix_2k

Cyrix_2k

That's awesome! Sorry to here about your Alfa Romeo. I hate it when things don't work out.

edit: I hate it when things to work out? Changed it to don't work out.

Last edited:
OP
Cyrix_2k

Cyrix_2k

That's funny. That's the site I'm using/ The problem is it's about a 200k download every time someone views this post. I'm up to 71% of my daily 5mb bandwidth now. :(