• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

RDIMM on X99 mainboards with i7

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
The reason is to let costumer know that the CPU can benefit from ECC or support RDIMM. Why did you conclude that i7 that do not list ECC as a feature will not work with ECC UDIMM? If they don't list PCIe3 support on a particular processor it wouldn't mean that the PCIe3 card do not work with this CPU on PCIe2 speed. In other words ECC UDIMM is backward compatible with non ECC UDIMM motherboard and CPU.

Even if it does work (which it doesn't in all cases) why would you buy ECC RAM with an i7, just to lose the ECC function?
You're paying more for ram to correct errors, then not using the error correction...

Hey folks,

I'm planning on building a X99-System :) I had a dual cpu Westmere-EP and an Ivy-Bridge-EP workstation, both with registered DDR3 modules because they were very cheap in used condition.

Prices on DDR4-modules are high yet but when the first servers are upgraded prices for the used 4GB or 8GB registered modules will be low *hopefully*.

Since I can't decide whether to use a i7-5xxx cpu or Xeon E5 v3 in the long run (and maybe have to test other CPUs) here my Question:

Can I run registered modules with e.g. a i7-5820k? In most cases registered modules come with ECC and i know that ECC isn't supported by the i7 and hence won't be used. But what about the registered thingy with i7? It's pretty unclear to me...

The mainboard for my build will probably be the GA-X99-UD4. In revision 1.1 there's support for RDIMM 1Rx8/2Rx8/1Rx4/2Rx4 configuration, in 1.0 only RDIMM 1Rx8. Has there been any change in the X99 chipset?

A big thanks in advance for your help on clarification
outlawx
Hi, did you ever get to try?
Does RDIMM on gigabyte x99 board work when using i7-6850k, or other i7 processors?

Knowing fully well, the ECC part of registered DIMM will be wasted and not used. And ECC is not the concern here.

I know I'm late to the party but I just looked at the manual for my GA-X99 Designarre-EX MB and this is what it says
"Note 2: If you are using a Registered DIMM memory, make sure it is a 1Rx8/2Rx8/1Rx4/2Rx4 one."
As to if it will work with i7 Haswell-E or Broadwell-E CPU's I don't know.
Are there Xeon CPU's for i7 Haswell-E and Broadwell-E MB's?

X99 was the last chipset supporting popular Xeons. There are Xeons for 2011-3 socket, but I'm not sure if there is any point in building anything based on this chipset anymore. If a specific CPU will work, depends on BIOS and the list is quite long with Xeon E5 v3 and v4 CPUs. Here is a list for v4 CPUs. I know that some of them won't work on desktop motherboards.
ECC unbuffered RAM works on pretty much all desktop motherboards. If ECC functionality works, depends on BIOS or CPU support. Registered modules usually don't work and if they do, like Gigabyte stated, only single/dual-rank modules will work, so nothing fancy with higher density at higher ranks.

Back