• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

re-application times for thermal paste

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

big_bertha

well people have danced around the issue in some threads below (or above if people reply) and it got me thinking. i know my AS3 is not like that pad that came on my stock pentium 3 fan so many years ago but i have been running a pc (non oc'd) for around 8 months with AS3 and i have not noticed an increase in temp. this pc doesnt even go a few months without a new coat since i **** with it so much, but generally, what is the consensus of the board on the max amount of time you can keep AS3, or other compounds on a cpu before the temps rise, and if they do does it rise like 20*c overnight or is it very slow and gradual.

i havn't got that new shin etsu thermal goop but if it is as hard and putty like as some people say do you guys think that will extend the application intervals. i mean, i know my old p3 500 is not the best on temp but the stock crap that came with it is doing fine and it must be at least 3-4 years old running 24/7

Monaco

my video card has been greased with AS3 since it came out, and it still OCs as well as it used to. I have a PC here greased with AS2 that has been running fine for 2+ years with no increase in temperatures.

As far as I'm concerned, time has no real effect on thermal grease. I've never seen any reason in my own experiences to prove otherwise.

NBK19

I had some Generic Thermal Grease on my Old P3 500. The chip was about 2 years old. I never noticed a temp increase.

OP
big_bertha

big_bertha

so all this crap about ree-applying every 4 months or whatever is just that... crap?

NBK19

You may not be applying the AS3 correctly. They're guides all over this board. Including this link. Cooling Guide . This link has some major stuff about cooling in it. and could help you out alot. So just read that over and see what you come up with.