• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Re-apply AS3 to Canterwood NB?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kunal

Registered
Hey guys, quick question for all of you. Think it's a good idea to take the HSF of the IC7 northbridge, and apply a bit o' AS3 then re-attach?

I'd like to maximize my OC, and I remember hearing in the past that there's generally bad contact between the NB HSF and the NB.

Or have things changed? ;)

Naw it is the same, you might want to lap the NB HSF before reapplying it. This way you should have better results if you hadn't of lapped it in the first place.

With lapping, I start out at 400, then go to 600, 800, and finally 1000 grit... 800 to 1200 will work, might have to spend more time, but it'll be nice when you're done.

Was thinking about pulling the Northbridge sink off my IC7 and see if lapping and AS3 would help any. I have a Radio Shack thermometer with a remote sensor. I've used it before to find hotspots in the cases of former systems. Think I might check the temps of various mobo chips and components (like the southbridge). I've got plenty of old chipset and P-1 sinks I can use if needed.

Last edited:
First thing i did when i got my IC7-G. I know it doesn't make muich difference but its something to do to past the time until i get my DDR

Back