• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Re-borning an old system. Plz anyone that knows about p3celeron read

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Darryl_D

okay guys my sister just gave my parents her "extra" system she had at college, andsincei can't bear to see it at it's present state (400mhz celeron YUCK!!!!) I've decided to giveit a little upgrade! Emachines say's i can't upgrade past the PPGA processors! (no more than 500mhz inthat place)... and that i can only add up to 256mb of RAM... soithought to myself.. WTF did she spend $1000 on this piece of $HIT!! (note it is 3 yr old)

So here is what i want to know... I was looking at the boards that supported the new tualitan cores.. ya know like the VH6T andstuff... and themthings cost like $75 shipped... so i look and i can find a VH6 (not the "T" version as i dun think itsupports the tualitans...) for 29 dollars... a much better buy IMO. Question is the VH6 only supports processors based on FCPGA not FCPGA2 (which is what the tually's are)... anyone know of any way i can run these on the VH6... or can i even at all??? NOTE: the processor i was looking at is the celly 1.1a

thanks for the help guys!!

Tipycol

Unless you want to buy a Powerleap socket adaptor, I don't think an Tualatin processor will work on the non T board. Unfortunately those adaptors are expensive, you'd probably be better off buying a Coppermine Celeron at 1.1GHz.

mugambo

I basically agree, but would choose the 1GHz c-mine cellery instead of the 1100. Here is why:

The CPU database lists the av OC speed of the 1100 @ 1294
and the ave OC speed of the 1000 @ 1275. Now, your CPU runs about 1.5% slower with the 1000; BUT, the memory is running about 10% faster with the celery 1000. Your overall machine performance should be faster with the celery 1000.

Dave

Tipycol

mugambo said:
I basically agree, but would choose the 1GHz c-mine cellery instead of the 1100. Here is why:

The CPU database lists the av OC speed of the 1100 @ 1294
and the ave OC speed of the 1000 @ 1275. Now, your CPU runs about 1.5% slower with the 1000; BUT, the memory is running about 10% faster with the celery 1000. Your overall machine performance should be faster with the celery 1000.

Dave

Still, if he got 127*11 it would be faster too ;)

mugambo

"Still, if he got 127*11 it would be faster too ..."

Absolutely correct; however, this is not a likely outcome. According to the database:

. . . . 51% of the 1GHz Celeries hit an FSB of 128 or higher
. . . . 36% of the 1GHz Celeries hit an FSB of 133 or higher

. . . . 8% of the 1.1 GHz Celeries hit an FSB of 128 or higher

Despite what you say, the outcome statistically looks better with the 1GHz IMO. You have a 50/50 chance of hitting FSB 128 with a 1 GHZ. With the 1100, you have about a 1 in 12 chance -- pretty long odds.

Dave

batboy

Senior Moment
Mugambo is right, in fact I'd look for a cheap used Celly 900 if I was on a tight budget and had this system. All C-900 CPUs were the better cD0 stepping and it'll give you a better chance of hitting 133 FSB than either the 1 gig or 1.1 gig Celerons. Stll, there is no guarantees, but the C-900 might be at least cheaper. Sure would be nice to get a Tualatin though. Hey DD, maybe you can find an old cheap slot 1 BX mobo and then do the mod on a slotket to use a Tualatin?