• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Re-installed Win 7 and now Vid drivers won't install correctly and other issues

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

infernotez

It has been over a year and I was having some small issues here and there and I wanted to clear space out on my SSD considering BF3 is coming soon.
I re-installed the OS like I have in the past and did the quick format then started installing drivers and steam when I noticed the drivers didn't install correctly, but sorta worked.

The drivers load, but there is a lot of issues.

I can't get application previews on the toolbar.
When I drag windows around on my screen it seems to have the old xp dragging effect for a few seconds(basically the window shows the trail of movement).
Steam was having some real issues just running when I first installed and after another reinstall I can't get steam to launch without running as admin.
The drivers sometimes won't remember which screen is the primary one.
Chrome will go semi transparent and clip desktop icons, parts of other programs open and the scroll bar in the middle of the screen. The same thing will happen with steam open and most of the time steam will leave a outline of where it was for a few seconds.
And there is other issues I can't think of at the moment.

I have installed 5 different driver sets from over the past year or so(10.6, 11.2, 11.8, 11.9 and the rage performance drivers all worked for me) and all tried troubleshooting the issue and came up with potential fixes, but neither fixed it. I heard one possible fix was removing the technologies from the ati install name and also not downloading the files that don't want to install. Neither worked, but I figured who knows what will fix it.

Before I started the reinstall of the reinstall I did go into safe mode and used driver sweeper to remove the graphic drivers and reinstalled them. It fixed nothing.

Cpu: Intel I5 2500k 3.4GHz
Motherboard: MSI P67A-G43 (B3)
Ram: 8GB G.skill Ripjaws DDR3 1600
Case: Antec 900
Gpu: Powercolor Ati Hd5850
PSU: Antec High Current Gamer Series HCG-750 750W
Primary Hard Drive: Intel x25 80gb SSD
Secondary Hard Drive: WD Caviar Black 1Tb
Monitor 1: ASUS VH236H
Monitor 2: Acer P216hv

Since I've been plagued by memory issues on multiple machines as of late, have checked the RAM? Run a memtest just to be certain... twice. Also, when you're doing the reinstall are you doing a format or just deleting the partition upon install?

Before installing AMD Catalyst, go to Windows Control Pannel > Add or Remove Programs > uninstall all versions of Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable. There may be 2005, 2008 and 2010 versions there.

Before installing AMD Catalyst, go to Windows Control Pannel > Add or Remove Programs > uninstall all versions of Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable. There may be 2005, 2008 and 2010 versions there.
I saw that too and there was in the first install, but I deleted all of them before I did another install.

Back