• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ready to go WC - need help, got questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

allnighter

Hello guys,
Obviously, I'm new here and this place was recommended to me as "the place" for any and all oc/cooling related stuff so here I come to you with my little project.
I'll be honest with you guys, this is going to be my first solo WC project so I definitely want to do everything right the first time. I've, well...assisted in building a few wc-ed machines but have never built one of my own. All meaning I'm not a total noob nevertheless still a noob.
WC kits are not an option because anything that is out there is always missing a few pieces that I feel I should have, therefore DIY is a way to go.
With that out of the way, let me tell you what I already have coming, some of my system specs, case configuration, how I want all that to look and than the questions.
I've already ordered DD RBX 1/2OD, Hydor L35, DD NV68 3/8. This is all going into a system made out of A64 3800 on MSI K8N Neo2, with GF6800GGT, with 550w True Power, sitting in an overcrowded Antec SX835II case. The case, although big, is totally full: 2 optical, floppy, 3HD's, Audigy 2zs Plat, ATA controller card, 3 case fans and a GT. So I have no room for a decent wc cooling. Maybe I could fit a pump inside but that's about it. For obvious reasons I plan on having the rads & reservoir outside. My goal for this system is silence and performance, with emphasis on silence.
This is what I've been looking at for other components: 2 120mm Black Ice Pro or Extreme (probably blue), 2 92mm Enermax Blue fans with s/c for the rads, tygon 1/2 od tubing, still haven't decided on a reservoir. I plan to build a custom metal or wooden casing for all that, depending on the final specs of components and either keep it on the floor or on top of the case. What I read in GreenPsycho's review ov NV68 block is what made me decide to go with two separate 120mm rads in parallel vs one 240mm that I initially intended. I would like to avoid added heat from the GPU in the loop. Since I have no room in the case my initial idea was to mount the rads outside on a side panel so I'm still considering that option. I am really not after the looks and flash with this system, hell my case is still beige. What I intend to have, after everything is said and done, is a quiet high performing rig. The GT will probably be clocked @ ultra speeds 24/7 and CPU @ 2.5ghz. I also want some overhead for benching and stuff.
So that's it.
Now a few questions. Would it make sense to "Y" split the line going to the blocks and have two separate ones for each the CPU and the vid card and would this hurt the flow too much, in other words what sequence you think would be better/best? As far as rads are concerned, will I see a big diff between B/I Pro & Extreme? I assume Hydor L35 will be able to handle the flow for the entire loop. If I go with Vantec Stealth fans are the temps going to rise much with these rads (3-5C would be tolerable). Would you guys choose a 5 1/2 bay res or a cylinder one, another idea is a T-line with fillport on top of the case...basically give me an idea.
Now I humbly ask for your suggestions in all aspects of this projects, from choosing and combining parts to mounting, possible conflicts/complications and so on. Thank you guys in advance!

Damn. That is quite the conundrum. I think the easiest way to do it would be to just bite the bullet and get a 2x120 BIX2 and mount it on the top. You really don't have room in your case with all that stuff. Even if you were to get 80mm Swiftech rads to mount on the intake and exhaust ports you'd be squeezing things pretty tight, though you'd probably be able to do it.

What might be easier is to use two Y-connectors as you mentioned, and since the GPU block is only 3/8", it shouldn't take much away from the CPU line. At least then you could use a 2x120mm rad like the Black Ice Pro 2. As for Pro vs Xtreme, the difference in thermal dissipation efficiency between the two is at best 13% according to one site, so even if that's a conservative number, it's not woth spending 50% more. It's 13% more efficient, you won't see anywhere near a 13% drop in temps. At best 2C.

And don't buy Vantec Stealths. I own a few. They're not that good. Panaflos are overrated and overpriced. Get these.

Nobody on the forums who owns these fans could say a bad word about them, and anyone who'd recommend a Panaflo over them has never owned a Sanyo. They're extremely high quality, very very solidly built and quiet.

As for a reservoir, I think they're horribly overpriced for a plastic box with barbs on it. You really could make your own with a decent quality plastic bottle, some barbs from Home Depot and some sealant. But if you really want to buy one, it doesn't matter which one. Get the biggest one you can find that isn't too disgustingly overpriced for a plastic container with barbs fitted to it. But a reservoir isn't REALLY necessary anyway. It increases the thermal capacity of the loop, so it heats up slower, but you probably won't see lower temperatures at full load as a result. It just gets hot slower.

The only problem I see with the system out of it all (aside from an overfilled case) is the Hydor. It does seem a bit weaker than ideal, but it'll get the job well enough.

Thank you, that hits on almost every point. Thanks for the tip on the fans. I have to admit I've never even heard of those. It's true that the real gems are always hidden.
Yup, I think I will probably go with two 120mm BIPro since the cost/performance benefit for xtreme's vs pro's seems not to be there. I will build a box for the rads and probably have to cut a few holes since I might pass on the res entirely and just go with the T-line and the fillport.
Now about the pump.. I was under the impression that Hydor L35 should be enough for a loop like that since it can move roughly 320ghp. Some people said that it would be very unwise to split the line or go with parallel because it almost halves the flow so I thought 320ghp should be enough to push the water without problems. Should I look into a better pump than? Which one would you guys recommend?
And I also have a question about tygon tubes and DD RBX block. I've read somewhere that tygon hardly fits on all 3 barbs due to the wall thicknes and it doesn't have enough clearance between the barbs. Can any of you guys confirm that this is true. Thanks in advance!

Back