• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ready to take the plunge (literally) ... advice wanted.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Giblet Plus! said:
1. Put a heatercore in the bottom front of your case and use the bottom area as a wind tunnel to pull air through it (you could also run a 120mm fan and shroud on it). There would still be plenty of room for a pump down there too.

This is currently what I'm planning on doing. I'll pop 4 rivets and if I ever need those racks again, a few screws and nuts will put them back in.

Giblet Plus! said:
2. Run a heatercore sideways with dual shrouds in the bottom section, pulling air in on one side and dumping it out on the other.

Wild. I'd thought about the same thing. Cold air in one side, hot air out the other, with the raddy in the middle. I did notice shutting down the front intake, my Seagates heated up quite a bit.

Well, about the intake/exhaust thing - I'd think you want an upwards stream. The CPU produces heat, thus heats the air which then rises. When you put an exhaust at the bottom, this pulls in the opposite direction of the stream, thus reducing efficiency. When you put an exhaust at the top, this makes use of the stream, increasing efficiency.
What I'd think...

Section8 said:
2) Swifty MCW6002 or TDX cpu block (not the silver)

What block is rated a better performer?

Overclockers.com has reviewed the MCW6000 which has 3/8'' fittings and found it a good performer although slightly higher than normal pressure drop. I suspect the MCW6002 should perform just as good as it has 1/2'' fittings and may have a lower pressure drop. The swifty was $10 cheaper was the main reason I went with it. Plus it has all copper construction.

greenman100 said:
I don't have barbs on mine

why the MCP? you're running a low restriction setup

I always thought the MCW6002 was pretty restrictive. Am I wrong?? I think you should get the MCP600 if you have the money to do so. If not get a Mag3 from Danner which will cost you about $40 plus barbs. Stay away from the CSP single, its weak. A series setup of 2 CSPs however is a different story, but for that price just get the MCP600.

hope this helps.

Giblet Plus! said:
There is a very marginal temperature difference between air being pulled in at the bottom of the case and air being pulled in at the top.

My advice was predicated on the fans pushing out from the case, not pulling in.
In my case there IS a difference in temp from the case floor to the case roof.
It is heat that is already being dumped there thanks to the heatsink fan. If he retains good case airflow case temps will stay the same and the radiator will be cooled by cooler air. A decrease in the temperature of the air entering the radiator by 2C will decrease the processor temp by exactly 2C.
Part of the reason that I switched to watercooling was to eliminate some of the case fans and the associated noise.
My radiator was originally mounted in the lower front of the case.
I tried the fan in both configurations ( intake from outside and exhaust to outside) and found that while the CPU temp varied not at all, dumping the exhaust into the case raised the HDD temp ( HDD located directly above the rad) and the video card temp.
So I chose to exhaust OUT of the case.
No, the bigger and greater number of fans you have, the slower (and therefore quieter) you can run them while retaining the same level of airflow. I am currently redoing my setup to use 4 slow 120x38mm fans on a dual sized heatercore.
No matter how you cut it, running at the same speed and same voltage, adding another fan adds noise.
Since his stated objective was to lower the noise level, it hardly seems unreasonable to suggest that one fan will be quieter than two.
I appreciate your enthusiasm for watercooling but I would also appreciate it if you don't post personal opinions and beliefs as facts.
Fortunately for me, my beliefs are BASED on facts.
I was simply recommending a setup based on what has worked well for me.
Presumably you are doing the exact same thing.
Your condesension is misplaced.

Back