• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ReadyBoost worth it with my setup?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ubercooldave

Hey, I've done a little research and found very conflicting views on readyboost, some say not worth it at all, some say worth it in lower-spec PCs, some say always worth it...

My setup is:

AMD Phenom II 955 3.2GHz
4GB DDR3 Ram at 1600MHz
Asus M4A78T-E mobo
Main drive: 1 x WD 7200RPM 500GB HDD
Secondary drive: 1 x WD 7200RPM 120GB HDD

so i was considering buying a 4GB Class 10 SDHC card and sticking it in and using it with ReadyBoost, or if better a USB 3.0 memory stick. Or would my ~£20 be better spent other ways?

Many thanks

jgv115

You won't get any benefit especially if you're on 4gb RAM. I used to use readyboost when I was on 512mb RAM, it made some difference but not a big one, if you have a spare USB lying around then you might want to try it but it's not worth buying new stuff for it.

TaCoSwInDeZ

Personally ive noticed a large difference when playing the games I have installed on my machine and I have 4gb of ram, but that the only time I notice a difference. The 2gb sony flash drive im using shows alot of usage when loading crysis levels and FSX and they seem to load 5-10 seconds faster but when booting into windows it isnt used at all so its obviously not helping my boot times.