• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Real time anti-spyware blocker

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

redwraith94

Just like the title says. What is a good prog to block spyware, or trojans from installing themselves. I used to love TDS-3, but in leiu of DiamondCS retiring it I am looking for an alternative.

Yeah, I believe it does. I know Ad-ware can. Also I believe Spyware Blaster is one of the best if thats all you want it for. Mix that with Spybot and MS anitspy and you should be set.

SpyBot I believe does. It protects from installs though I dont think it realtime moniters. It can scan for dialers and hijackers and stuff like that though. If you don't mind using a few differnt apps there are some good ones for things like that. Anti-Keylogger is one for keyloggers of course, I am not sure but I think Adware can remove some. There are also apps like bazooka. Or for all around protection if you want to pay there is something like panda.

I really liked the anit-trojan aspect of TDS-3. Is there any progs that are REALLY good at it? I have used MS anit-spyware beta. I am looking for a more powerful prog.

I have Ad-aware 2nd Ed, Spybot 1.4 rc2, spyware blaster, spyware gaurd. I like them all, but they don't quite cut for realtime protection, from not just spyware, but trojans, etc. too. Any ideas?

I though Spyware blaster more blocks access to certain sites, then real-time monitors installs of progs?

Yeah it does, sorry I probably worded that wrong. It works well though because instead of monitering everything it just straig up blocks the ones it knows about. For a real time trojan detector you would need an antivirus for the most part. Spyware Doctor has pretty much every thing built in and very good ones at that. Though it does not cover viruses, worms, trojans those sorts of things. For that you would need something like AVG, Panda, I think PC cillin also has real time scan, though I am not sure. TDS-3 sounds a lot like Panda, so if you are looking for a new app to cover all of it thats around the same thats it. Though it does cost money, other then that I Spyware docter comes pretty close. It has a tool for almost anything, also PC-Cillin I believe claims to catch spyware though I am not sure at how good it is at it.

Sorry guys TDS-3 is not the same as an antivirus or anti spyware program. I am not sure of a good replacement for TDS-3.

So is it not going to be updated anymore?

Kendan goes off to check it out;)

http://tds.diamondcs.com.au/

OK then I would suggest a combo of Nod32 and spysweeper. for active protection.

Kendan said:
Sorry guys TDS-3 is not the same as an antivirus or anti spyware program. I am not sure of a good replacement for TDS-3.

So is it not going to be updated anymore?

Kendan goes off to check it out;)

http://tds.diamondcs.com.au/

OK then I would suggest a combo of Nod32 and spysweeper. for active protection.

Thanks, Kendan, for backing my claims up. I'll check out that Nod32, but I last time I looked at it, I remember its being not a freeware... but maybe I'm wrong.

SinsFeelNatural said:
There is a program that is included w/ spybot, it is called TeaTime, it checks for and monitors changes to your registry.

I have Teatimer installed, and I like it. I have not figured out why, but the button that you click to allow a change is always covered in text, so there is only a very small portion, like 2 pixels that I can actually click. Other than that it is a good prog.

Kendan, it was more anti-trojan, but it would pick up spyware that the others I mentioned before would miss. I will check out Nod32, and Spysweeper, though.

Thanks to everyone for the advice.

edit/ Do you know of any freeware progs? I use avg right now, and like it alot, but I don't really have money to spend on new progs. /edit

redwraith94 said:
Kendan, it was more anti-trojan, but it would pick up spyware that the others I mentioned before would miss. I will check out Nod32, and Spysweeper, though.
/edit

But it was known for its anti trojan abilities. What I did not realise was that the regular antivirus companies had caught up to them in the ability to catch the trojans.

They mentioned that as their reason for discontinuing TDS-3. Frankly I have never run across an AV Scanner that was as powerful as it though. I was glad they finally issued a statement, I was waiting for nearly ~3 months for an update before they issued one.

Updates, one of my professors recommended ewido to me. I have tried it.

I had previously scanned my system (all files included) with AVG, ad-awareSE 2nd ed, Spybot 1.4 rc2.

I scanned with ewido. It found 1 trojan (bundled with java?!), and three pieces of spyware, including 1 executable. I am most thoroughly impressed, and I highly recommend this piece of freeware. http://www.ewido.net/en/

My system works just fine with it.

I don't know how the corporate products are vs. the "consumer" products though.

I am just testing it out though since its free for me.

Back