• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Really need help!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dude2

hey,

I have just got a new motherboard in to make my computer work, which it now does - as before i would only get a standby light etc due to a dead motherboard. However, i have the same problem b4 that if u try and run the processor at 133 the computer seems very unstable etc, so i used to run it at about 126 for stability otherwise u would always get memory dumps ot STOP messages etc. Anyway, with this new motherboard it seems u cannot underclock the processor - the minnimum is 133, therefore the computer always crashes.

Because of this i have tried re-formatting the hdd, however due to the unstability of the computer whilst installing the new OP i got a few blue screens of death etc, so it has a corrupt installation of windows 98 at the mo. I have also tried win2000 but again i get a STOP message before u can even go ahead with installing win2000.

What can u reccomend i do!!!???

Please help,

cheers

jonny

dude2 said:
hey,

I have just got a new motherboard in to make my computer work, which it now does - as before i would only get a standby light etc due to a dead motherboard. However, i have the same problem b4 that if u try and run the processor at 133 the computer seems very unstable etc, so i used to run it at about 126 for stability otherwise u would always get memory dumps ot STOP messages etc. Anyway, with this new motherboard it seems u cannot underclock the processor - the minnimum is 133, therefore the computer always crashes.

Because of this i have tried re-formatting the hdd, however due to the unstability of the computer whilst installing the new OP i got a few blue screens of death etc, so it has a corrupt installation of windows 98 at the mo. I have also tried win2000 but again i get a STOP message before u can even go ahead with installing win2000.

What can u reccomend i do!!!???

Please help,

cheers

jonny

:-/ um... you should be able to run at stock without problems... something is wrong, probably with your hardware. i would try to check your ram. if you have 2 sticks, try them one at at time. and put your system back at stock speeds.

Its a GA-7VAXP Ultra

the ram isnt anything special. Maybe this is the problem. Could this cause the stop messages and memory dumps??

if i took the ram from my bros comp for a while, do u reckon i would then at least be able to format the c:??

thanks

yes, bad ram will cause stop messages and cause crashes. try it since you can get some ram from your brother's rig. if it works fine, then you know it is the ram. i wouldn't suggest putting faulty ram back into the board though...

I have just checked my bro's ram to see if i could try that but it is SDRAM - i need to try DDR or the like. Has anyone got any suggestions on to how i could test some ddr without forking out for it. Or is it almost a certainty that it is the ram?!

Oh by the way, now when i turn on the pc, after it posts up etc it goes to a dodgy screen which has green streaks all the way down!? messed up! hopefully this can be over come bu putting in a boot cd or something, any views?!

cheers

jonny

dude2 said:
I have just checked my bro's ram to see if i could try that but it is SDRAM - i need to try DDR or the like. Has anyone got any suggestions on to how i could test some ddr without forking out for it. Or is it almost a certainty that it is the ram?!

Oh by the way, now when i turn on the pc, after it posts up etc it goes to a dodgy screen which has green streaks all the way down!? messed up! hopefully this can be over come bu putting in a boot cd or something, any views?!

cheers

jonny

are the lines random on the screen and do they look like they are any normal characters? if they are random and they don't look like the normal character set, it might be your video card actually...

Just ran memtest 3.0

It started going through the process and looking at the screen now it says:

Blah Blah

Unexpected Interrupt - Halting

Type: Gen_Prot
PC: fffffff
CS 00000010
Ef Flag: 00010807
Code: 00000000

BLAH BLAH there is loads of coding then the bottom line in grey reads:

00016ec8 00017000 00016ef8 00000000

What does this mean - does it mean it has failed the test because the RAM is definetly bad!?

This program seems a little confusing so please tell me what yout think!?

Thank you so much

Jonny

well try to run prime95 as well and see how that works out... it will also halt if any tiny error is found. it's extremely picky about whether or not data is calculated correctly. (it's what i used to determine that i had a bad stick of ram.)

JOY TO THE WORLD!

I have a working computer.

i got the samsung pc3200 512mb in 2 sticks of 256.

It didnt seem to work then i switched a switch on the mainboard which means it runs slightly below an xp2100+ but so far i have a stable comp!!

woohoo,

cheers for all your help!

Back