• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Really stupid question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Abra_Volta

A friend and I were talking one day and we had an idea which I think theoretically should work but he says it wouldn't.

A hd-less computer for gaming.

Granted this would be a pain but I just need to know if it's possible and since I don't know which forum would be best to answer this I'm sticking it here in the Memory section since that is the component I am focusing on.

I know it's possible to make a section of RAM look like a hard drive. And we all know that access to memory is faster than access to the hard drive.

So, could you boot using a floppy/cd-rom, install a minimum OS into the RAM-drive and run a gaming session from there (let's say Counter-Strike since it's free and almost everyone either knows/plays it.)

CrazyP

there is a device called a ramdrive, its ram mounted a a device for the pci slot that acts like a hardrive. pros are its extremely fast. cons are its expensive, try like 2-3K and up, you would have to install everything everytime you start your com,puter or never shut it down

rogerdugans

Linux challenged Senior, not that it stops me...
It is possible- in fact it is possible to do it without expensive proprietary hardware- all you need is a system with a LOT of ram.

But it isn't really worth the hassles with modern systems, and it would probably be quite tricky to actually do.

Back in the day......Windows for Workgroups and so on, I did exactly that with a few programs and batch files: with a 386-25mhz it made a huge difference :D

With a 2 or 3 Ghz processor and the way applications are put together for modern oses it probably would not make a huge difference.

El<(')>Maxi

Blank Senior Member
Hmm, interesting question. There is software out there to build a RAM disk. What I think you might have to do is have a HD installed first, load an OS so you can build the RAM drive. Oh, wait a minute. What OS were you thinkin of using? It would have to be installable and able to run with out booting. Don't think one exists. An alternative would be to have a HD with minimal OS running, build the RAM disk and install the game(s) on the RAM disk istelf. That would speed the game up I'll bet.

ninthebin

I think current RAM Drives come with a UPS to keep data - if I were a huuuge database based company, something that depends on milliseconds to stay afloat then yes this would help - home computer it would be nice...but the fact you could build an amazing pc with all the trimmings like 10 times over for a Rocket Drive that will install Windows XP a game or two and not alot else hurts its potential at this time :)