• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Really weird problems

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

link1305

Lately with my server I've been having....really weird problems. I recently finished installing Gentoo (version of Linux) and after a few restarts, the computer wouldn't boot the harddrive even though it was set to in the BIOS. I reset the CMOS, and it does the same thing. Strangly enough, in the BIOS it reads the harddrive name as a bunch of nonsensical characters...the harddrive is only a year old, a WD 20gb drive.

When I have it set to boot from the floppy first, then the harddrive, it somehow thinks theres a floppy in there....so it tries to boot something that isn't there, and hangs on a black screen with a blinking cursor in the upper left corner...it never used to do that. Could the mobo be going?

Once in a while it successfully boots the harddrive...and gets to the part where it mounts the root partition, and says it can't be mounted, and the kernal panics :bang head