• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

rear window defrogger repair kit xp

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ThePunkGeek

well i got some rear window defrogger and its some sort of adheasive

ones in a tube like water and the other in an air tight bag

if this the right stuff? it say its highly conductive how would i use this to unlock my xp. and after i finish if it dont work right is it easy to clean off? and anyone know how long it takes to harden?
thanks

Arkaine23

Captain Random Senior Evil
defogger

My defogger came in a single vial. It looks like brown paint. It starts to dry pretty fast, within 30 seconds anyway. What you do is tape off the L1 contacts, then fill the laser pits between the contacts with something non-conductive (superglue, clear nailpolish, crayon, etc.). I'd take a safety pin and scrape the contacts themselves, just to make sure none of the stuff you filled the pits with is covering the contacts. Then you use tape to mask off the bridges one at a time, and paint a thin line to connect each bridge. That safety pin should do the job of painting thin lines just fine. Do not cross-connect any bridges!! Use a magnifying glass to examine it when you're done.

Some other things that help: a magnifying glass to check your work, a bright light source, a grounding strap so you don't fry your cpu with static.

Take your time and get it right... and bear in mind that you may have to make more than one attempt.

OP
ThePunkGeek

ThePunkGeek

i have already had to attempts on this with a cheep unlocking kits
i filled my pits along time ago

i have a package of that brown stuff you talking about (i think its the same) and its a tube of some sort of green liquid. whats the liquid for?

Arkaine23

Captain Random Senior Evil
unlocking

No idea about the green liquid....

Try scraping the actual L1 contacts (all 10) with a safety pin to make sure none of the pit-filler is on them. Do this right before painting each bridge. That was my initial problem. If even one contact is covered over, some of the mulitplyers won't work. And superglue and clear nail polish are well... clear, so its not something you'd notice just by looking.

Also, sometimes the defogger paint shifts or lifts up if you bump it. (I was always scraping at it with a razor blade to get it in the right shape, and this would happen if it had already dried.)

Someone suggested painting on several thin layers for each bridge. Maybe that'll help too. Good luck painting your bridges.