• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Rebooting instead of Shutting down :(

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tseongsun

I just reinstalled WinXP because of a corrupt registry problem and now when I go to start shutdown and tell it to shutdown the computer shuts down but then reboots instead. Does anyone know why it doesn't just stay turned off?

Is this a BIOS setting (I adjusted my bios when I installed windows XP and then put it back to my normal settings) or is this a trigger in WinXP I need to set? Any ideas are appreciated. Thanks guys!

cxb

Could be the Power on after shut down thinggy....
I dont know though, im just talking out of my butt.

Guero

WinXP restarts on errors during shutdown. I remember Roxio EasyCD Creator without the XP patch used to create this error.

You can change this setting. Instead of a restart you will get a blue screen. Take down the info and post what the error is.

You should ask a mod to move this into the Microsoft Operating Systems. You will get more help there.

OP
tseongsun

tseongsun

Thanks, I didn't know if this was a BIOS or WinXP problem. I'll see if I can disable that option and get a bluescreen to pop up. If I get a real error I should be able to figure out what's causing it.