• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Rebuilding my HEPC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Archer0915

"The Expert"
It has been a few years but I am in the process of rebuilding my HEPC. I have been into laptops for the most part but this was something that was long over due.

I will post pics when done. And HEPC? I coined that one years ago. It is effectively any system you can build, cram in a case that your wife will allow in the living room and runs cool and quiet.

Must be able to game well, have adequate storage, latest optical system (or if you use no Blu-ray a DVD rom) and not suck power generating heat.

That is it for the moment. Waiting on the video card.

Awesome!

So, what does HEPC stand for? I see the definition, but curious about that part too!

It goes beyond the AV and light gaming of the HTPC. Just need to keep the noise and heat down.

The is the same case I had the SLI 9800 low power video cards in.

Entertainment replaces theater.

The PC must play all games at a reasonable framers, be capable and good at transcoding/encoding, .
Post magically merged:

Reasonable frame rates.
Post magically merged:

For setup purposes I am using a 1650 super. Tuesday the RX 6600 will be here. I am using a stock cooler and plenty of ventilation. I will get the configuration up here when I get home.

Positive case pressure to prevent port dusting, makes cleaning easier and this is mounted in the wall.

I am idling around 100F

Last edited:
I am idling around 100F
lol, been using computers for so long, I have no idea if that's good because they have always listed in Celcius. More importantly for noise (most cards set fans to off when idle like that), what are the LOAD temps and can you adjust the fan curve down when under load.

Also, pic of the whole chassis would be awesome!

Just using stock HSF for now. I may work to tweak the voltage down a hair and the clocks up a tad.

I use the stock HSFbecause I do not have a liw profile coler here and cannot get one locally.

Q: What's with the dust filter on the rear exhaust? Are you trying to keep the dust contained inside the case?

It's not very easy to make heads or tails of what's going on there? Just one intake fan at the top?

I had a reply, go figure. Not on exhaust, those are the expansion card slots. They are open and the filters are to keep dust out when off but mainly to allow, but control, exhaust airflow.
Q: What's with the dust filter on the rear exhaust? Are you trying to keep the dust contained inside the case?

It's not very easy to make heads or tails of what's going on there? Just one intake fan at the top?hxaust. It is covered... honestly those are the ports for the expansion cards. I do not want dust creeping in. Should not be an issue but I like to direct airflow. I do need some are movement in that area though so the filter is to slow the air.
Post magically merged:

lol, been using computers for so long, I have no idea if that's good because they have always listed in Celcius. More importantly for noise (most cards set fans to off when idle like that), what are the LOAD temps and can you adjust the fan curve down when under load.

Also, pic of the whole chassis would be awesome!
Screenshot_20220627-115236_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Archer! One more... the chassis from the outside. I want to see what you're working with in the first place too! :)

First, location. I will be modding the wall on the right (as seen from the rear) for more clearance.

Screenshot_20220627-135017_Gallery.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220627-135711_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220627-135711_Gallery.jpg
    154.9 KB · Views: 8
  • Screenshot_20220627-135735_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220627-135735_Gallery.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 8
Enclosure: old full ATX HTPC case

MB: ASUS TUF gaming x570 wi-fi

RAM: 2666 DDR4 generic (stuff I had laying around)

CPU: 5600X

Video Card: RX 6600 8GB

Boot Drive: WD Black M.2 512GB

Storage: 4TB WD blue

Optical: LG BDRW

Flash support: Multi card reader

CPU cooling: Stock HSF

Case cooling: 1 120mm PWM 4 pin cooling HDD and 1 120mm 3 PIN in case front with 2 80mm in rear one intake one exhaust with psu exhaust.

80 - 100 cfm max intake and less than 30 cfm mechanical exhaust.

I have not yet done any airflow studies on this configuration.

You could look at Plex or Kodi. I have friends that use both, but they don't have any physical media.
Cyberlink works fine for me for playing BluRay discs. I haven't used it for anything else.

Back