• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Recabled my Sennheiser HD580s!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Strida

Here's the result of my latest project, recabling my beloved Sennheiser HD580s! Cable used was 22 awg silver coated copper wire. 4 strands (2 grounds) in a litz braid, all were bought on eBay for like 8 bucks for 100 foot.

Here's a picture of the cable as a whole. My amp is on my desk and I hated to long cord that came with the headphones originally, so I made a pretty short one. Techflex is mylar underneath graphite (black with a clear string mixed in) color on top of it.
PICT3409.jpg

Here's a picture of the custom connectors I made. I basically cut out the old connectors with a dremel, used my soldering iron to heat up the two barbs enough to melt them out of the plastic, soldered my new wire onto them, and then used some JB-Weld to put it all back together and hold it in place.
PICT3408.jpg

As you can see from the picture below, the side of the connector that is facing outward was left un-dremeled so the crappy JB-Weld job didn't show when I wear my cans.
PICT3407.jpg

How'd I do? This is the first mod I've done to my headphones, but I've built a CMOY and a couple interconnects before this. Advice and constructive criticism is appreciated.

shard

Try painting the JB weld. That and maybe put techflex on the black split cables. and maybe a bit of heatshrink on the connector and cable, just for an anti tension measure, besides that, looks great! I sure hope it sounds great also!

OP
Strida

Strida

I was planning on painting the JB Weld, just haven't gotten around to it yet! Anyways, the heatshrink on the connector is a good idea, I've already accidentally pulled the techflex out of it once, which made it fray like crazy. The split cables didn't turn out quite as nicely as I had hoped but since I'm not going to be taking off the connectors any time soon they'll just have to stay that way.

thegreek

is your litz braid the flat looking one or round looking one, also is there a guide you followed to do one?

I can do the 3 way pretty easy but I find the 4 way kinda hard, don't know why :shrug: