• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Reccomend a Quality Thermal paste/grease

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Shades_of_Me

I am buying a new gfx card cooler and need some reccomendations on a quality thermal paste, i also need a thermal epxoy to attatch some heatsinks.....i heard that arctic silver is good...

If anyone has any advice or reccomendations they would be greatly appreciated...

ckj

for gfx, go with artic ceramic, if you mess up it will be less likely to fry your card.
And i'm sure artic thermal epoxy will work fine.

OP
Shades_of_Me

Shades_of_Me

yeah overclockers do have it and its where i was gonna get it from..thanks..

how am i suppose to stick the heatsinks to the memory if i dont use epoxy

futura2001

Epoxy can be removed if you freeze your card (in a sealed static safe bag) in a freezer and use a razor or even dental floss to break the bond. If you are going to apply epoxy, I recommend you apply just small dabs on the corners of the chip and cover the rest with cermique. That way, it won't be too terribly hard to remove the epoxy should you ever have to...

Tyreal

Futura makes a good point. But i've seen people on this forum that have done that and have still popped off a ram chip. I personally wouldn't risk it.

You could try the small dabs on the corner and the rest ceramique if you want. Its probably not as bad.

OP
Shades_of_Me

Shades_of_Me

What is the best prog for oc anati card cause i have tried trixx and Ati tool but before it can finish the oc my system crashes and has to be restarted..why would this be and would it be able to be higher oc if i had the new cooler on their....

ckj

artic silver paste is capacitive, meaning it will hold a small charge and release it, meaning you can get funny behavior by your hard if it is applied wrong.

Susquehannock

The Mad Smelter
Tyreal said:
>>>>>
You could try the small dabs on the corner and the rest ceramique if you want. Its probably not as bad.
That would be my suggestion. Except I'd use super glue (gel) on the corners.

I have used the above technique to attach all sorts of sinks. From video memory
to fairly large NB sinks. Works great. If done correctly the sink should pop right off.
Not the case if you use straight thermal epoxy.

Shades_of_Me said:
seems like a few people arent too keen on that arctic silver??
True. Not everyone is a die hard AS5 fan.
My choice would be either Ceramique. Or of course Shin Etsu X23-7783D.

With that said all the mentioned products are very good and any one should serve you well.
Best of luck with whatever you choose. :)

Last edited:

b1029384756

I use AS5 on my GPU and on the memory chips, because the ramsinks are integrated into the cooler and bolt down. For you, use AS5 on the GPU, and AS Alumina epoxy on the memory. This is because AS5 can be cleaned off the card easily with alcohol or articlean if you screw up on the core, but silver adhesive sets fast and is difficult to clean if incorrectly applied. Plus, it necessitates the use of masking the ram chips and applying silicone. You can still try it if you're confident in your skills, it'll provide slightly better temps if you manage to get it right.