• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

reccomendations please!?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dude2

hey,

i seem to have ruined my motherboard! I am going to phone around to see if i can just replace the BIOS chip tomorrow, however if fails i am going to need a new motherboard and cpu?

currently its a P3 600mhz pre-built from tiny, its a winboard.

Can anyone reccomed a motherboard that will go with this case.

Also do i need a cpu?

thanks

jonny

Also, is it slot 1 or socket 370? If socket 370, I'd definitely recommend going for something that's tualatin-compatible.

My shuttle ae25 is pretty good. I'd recommend the Asus TUSLC2 even more. I'd avoid Soyo in my opinion. -- Paul

if you gotta buy a new board, i would go ahead and buy a new chip while i was at it.

a 1.6 XP is what, like 50 or 60 bucks now. Durons are even cheaper. and grab a board for probly around 80 or so.

That really depends on the constraints, though. You have to be willing to spend on new mobo, new RAM, new PSU, and a new CPU that way, vs. just a new mobo. So we're talking $75 + $50-$150 + $60 + $60+ vs. $75. If you're just looking to get back online, then I'd go with the cheaper option, but if was about overhaul/upgrade time, then I'd look at the first option. -- Paul

This site has insane mobo/cpu combo's. You can get a Abit KX7-333 mobo with a XP 1600 for 130 bucks. They also give you the option to get the cpu with AGOIA Y stepping. If you plan to overclock this set-up with the abit board it the best by far for an o/c and for a newbie like you that stepping i described is the best one for overclocking. Also dont If you want to overclock anything higher than the 1600 is a waste of money. If you dont want to overclock then a gigabyte board with a 1800 is very good. Make sure whatever mobo you get it is a KT333 chipset.

BTW..if you go to that site and look for the abit KX7-333 combo make sure you find the non-raid one. Raid is more money.

PM me with any other questions you may have.

Justin

What ever u decide upon check reseller ratings before u buy.These guys BZBoyz http://www.bzboyz.com which is the link above dont have a very good rating.I went there to look at there deals which are very good prices but buyer beware where ever u buy or what ever u do.

Good point big tex..i agree 100%. I have never purchased from bzboyz but they do have awsome prices.

I will note that www.newegg.com is a well known and trusted harware site of the this forum. They offer awsome prices on MOST things. However be sure to always give good ole pricewatch.com a check first for the best possible prices around.

Im not really sure about the pentium set ups. I have built with an amd before which i know is different from the pentium etc.

The computer has pentium 3 600mhz processor.

I dont want to replace anything but the motherboard.

How do i find out exactly what type of motherboard it is?

Do i have to buy a new cpu with it.

Surely the amd xp etc wont work in this set up.

thanks

Okay, first off, the 600 MHz P3 came in two different forms: SECC2 (which looks like a plastic cartridge that plugs into the mobo) and FCPGA (which looks like a square chip with an array of pins that just drops onto a zero-insertion force socket, and then you clamp a HSF above it.

See http://support.intel.com/support/processors/pentiumiii/ for further details.

If it's a SECC2 chip (slot 1), you'll have to either get a new slot1 mobo (best bet is probably ebay), and if it's an FCPGA, it should work in any socket 370 motherboard. You chould even get a tualatin-compatible mobo, and if you ever chose to upgrade w/a cheap CPU and PC133 RAM, it would be quite doable.

The first step is to determine which version of the P3 you have.

XP definitely won't work there, BTW. It's been a long time since you could drove an AMD chip in an Intel setup ...

Let us know! -- Paul

S.E.C.C./S.E.C.C.2 package type

Myne has a big plastic cartridge type thing, not like your normal amd processors!

Well, that type of mobo will be harder to find. (slot 1) If you just want to replace the board, I think your best bet would be to look on ebay. Good luck! -- Paul

hey,

i need to get a new motherboard.

I need a Pentium 3 600mhz SECC2 motherboard.

Please can people help me find one, any reccomendations?

Thanks alot!

Hmmm, I can't recommend specific models (perhaps others can help me out here)

But I would recommend searching ebay for secc2 piii motherboards or slot 1 piii motherboards and then looking up the specs on the ones you find.

Good luck! -- Paul

Back