• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Receiver for home theater

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
You're right --would definitely want hdmi switching . I'll hold off...

No idea what your budget is. I'm a big fan of Denon when it comes to receivers. I'm not happy they stuck with the Faroudja chip in the current lineup but I love the sound of the Denon receivers.

Santa was supposed to leave me one of the new Denon Receivers but got lost on the way. :drool:

I'm moving to the west coast in the summer and will use that opportunity to replace a number of dated components.:santa:

for budget mind, the Onkyo 606 is a very decent low end AVR! I just bought one for my living room (and a new set of 5.1 speakers to replace my 4.5 yrs old Samsung HTIB) during the x'mas sales from amazon, $310 shipped!

personally, Denon, Onkyo/Integra, Yammy, all good AVR!

for budget mind, the Onkyo 606 is a very decent low end AVR! I just bought one for my living room (and a new set of 5.1 speakers to replace my 4.5 yrs old Samsung HTIB) during the x'mas sales from amazon, $310 shipped!

personally, Denon, Onkyo/Integra, Yammy, all good AVR!

Be very careful with the 606. It has bad buzzing problems, especially with HDMI inputs. Because of the persistence of this problem, I'd steer clear of that particular model. Not to say Onkyo is bad because they are incredible, I own a 605 myself.

I have a Onkyo TX-SR606 and love it! I got a panasonic 35-AK Blu-Ray for Christmas and all is good. I love the HDMI ports on the back.

THinking about upgrading my speakers though. They are 8yr old Energy satilites but with a new 450w Polk audio sub. Too bad my Onkyo only does 90w per channel. My sub sounds good but its not getting the power it really need to shine

Be very careful with the 606. It has bad buzzing problems, especially with HDMI inputs. Because of the persistence of this problem, I'd steer clear of that particular model. Not to say Onkyo is bad because they are incredible, I own a 605 myself.
yes, some people reported the buzz problem.... however, keep in mind that the 606 is one of the best bang for buck/volume seller, you've heard a higher failure rate is somewhat understandable. plus, take a look at the past 10 pages or so of the "offical 606 thread" over at avsforum, I don't see anyone report/complaint 'bout any buzzing problem!

plus, with 4 HDMI ports, decode DDTrueHD, DTS HD MA, upscale to 1080i, 90w/channel for less than $400 (it was $310 in early Dec when I bought it, and still was $350 around x'mas time!), it honestly hard to beat one like that for the money!!

I'm powering mind to a 5.1 set of Mirage Omnisat V2 speakers (2xFS, 1xCC, 2xSat) along w/ a Velodyne SPL800 sub for my living room (all from x'mas :D ). I love it! espeically for the price and sound!! (but to be honest with you, I still prefer my home theater's setup/sound tho! :p )

also, some AVR has "handshake/EDIE/etc." problem when connected w/ HTPC!! off my head, some Denon, some Yammy (especially another very popular and very decent one, V663! that's why I didn't recommend for HTPC usage!).

Back when I was looking for a receiver for my setup someone recommended that I shop around craigslist. I would highly recommend doing this, some people have no idea what these things are worth and you can find some killer deals on used receivers that are in perfectly fine condition. Right now I'm running 2x Polk RTi6 bookshelf speakers with the PSW10" subwoofer off of an Onkyo TX-DS575X. I think the receiver cost me something like $80-$100.

Back