• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

recent X3 unlocking rate?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Niku-Sama

just outa curisoity, has there been any change in the rate of usable unlockable cores on the x3's lately? i think i am about to order one.

i'd order one if they are still unlocking well or not but i was just curious. it'd probally be in X2 mode for a while untill i have the time to figure out what runs best at the moment (2 cores at a higher frequency or 3 cores at a lower frequency). might be interesting to know but if i could get a usable 4th core i could expand my test

ok dokie. i'm going to try for atleast thousand Mhz OC from factory clocks and see how that is and then see if 2 cores at faster than that works better or worse or 4 cores at lower speed works better. it could all just kinda depend on what your doing but i was curious to see.

i'll try to make it linear to avoid problems X3 being 1, X2 being 1.25, X4 being .75 of what ever 1 (X3 is)

lol You're finally going to pull the trigger on a phenom II huh? I think we discussed this several months ago when we both had the ta770. I'm still holding out for a C3 revision within my price range. The games I'm playing right now are old and single threaded so I can wait, well, CoDWaW isn't but I still get my 60fps average. ;)

well i dont have the cash to go with a quad and C3 isnt comming out with a tri and i wanted atleast 3 cores so i figure i should just do the $100 OEM on new egg, i tossed in a new video card too (5770 VaporX).
its less than the processor i am using now was new so if i have to upgrade sooner i wont feel so bad about it. i'm also skipping a bunch of crappyness that happened in 65nm and going from 90 to 45 which i think should yeild some awsomeness. the phenom 2 gets how much more done per clock cycle compared to a windsor? 1.5 times more?

Sounds good. I'm waiting for a x2 545 c3. My board will allow for selective core unlocking so hopefully I'll at least get a tri out of it plus the board does decent ht reference clocking so no need for a black edition. Good luck with the 720 and post your results so we can see how the oem's perform.

aye aye capn, it might be a bit delayed, i will install windows 7 at the same time (i get it free as a student) and i dont know how long it'll be till i can get things up to snuff

Best bet to learn about Unlocking rates is to head over to XS. They have a huge list of unlockable X2s and X3s.

I bought my Phenom II 720 around March 2009. It unlocked, but I could never get it stable no matter how hard I tried.

I would always get a weird video driver issue when playing games, the game would close and give me a windows pop up box that I have never seen.

So I concluded that I must have had a unstable 4th core to begin with =( even though everything else other than games worked, including prime 95 stress testing for hours.

Back